Best-Selling Video Game Consoles (1983-2024)

Always cool to watch datagraphics like this while trying to mentally recall historical context. For example, how Mario Bros. was released on October 1985 with the Nintendo cartridge shortly following in January 1986, but not seeing the USA cartridge release until June 1986. Then watch what happens to the Atari vs. Nintendo bars while minding that, particularly the new sales charting lines at the bottom, not the total sales bars at the top. Its effect endured for years; an impact you won't witness from a single video game on home console sales, anymore. Because in 1988, two years later, the famous "Nintendo Action Set" that bundled Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt with the gun & the console itself was the #1 selling toy set in the USA. Saved an industry that many thought might be dying, and changed the course of video game history forever.
R.9f3bd63c10e57b1bf4f81d7cdc594b72

Always cool to watch datagraphics like this while trying to mentally recall historical context. For example, how Mario Bros. was released on October 1985 with the Nintendo cartridge shortly following in January 1986, but not seeing the USA cartridge release until June 1986. Then watch what happens to the Atari vs. Nintendo bars while minding that, particularly the new sales charting lines at the bottom, not the total sales bars at the top. Its effect endured for years; an impact you won't witness from a single video game on home console sales, anymore. Because it 1988, two years later, the famous "Nintendo Action Set" that bundled Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt with the gun & the console itself was the #1 selling toy set in the USA. Saved an industry that many thought might be dying, and changed the course of video game history forever.
R.9f3bd63c10e57b1bf4f81d7cdc594b72

Hot damn this brings back memories. We got the Power Set for Christmas one year that had the Mario/Duck Hunt/World Class Track and had the power pad, and also and extra game in Wizards & Warriors. That first night I played all through the night and into the morning. I can still remember the look of shame in my dad's eyes when he got up for work and saw me huddled around the TV. Good times.

Pretty cool video. Thought i'd share it to you folks.

Anything surprising?

Great video, thanks for sharing

Had no idea PS4 was that popular- sure the Pro accounts for some of that, but it's near Gameboy numbers and there were several editions of that as well.

Switch entering the race and dominating like that is something else. Imagine if it had proper 3rd party support with ports on par with PS/Xbox....

Back