Do you think max holloway can beat volk now?

Max is one of the better fighters on the planet, of course he CAN beat Volk.

WOULD he is the question, he was close before but never quite good enough to nullify the low kicks and consistently outbox Volk. I'd say no if they fought late this year, Max is too vulnerable to guys who understand how to utilize their footwork and attack his legs.

If the guy had added a little offensive grappling, some clinch fighting, and some consistent and dangerous high kicks to his arsenal, he would've made the Volk fights look easy imo. Max has just not evolved the way you'd think he might've in 2015.

Max is a great MMA boxer but his reach takes away from how effective he can really be against the elite. Someone along the way should've explained to him, there will be times when you face guys who you'll struggle to outbox due to speed differences (Volk), and reach (Dustin). Kicks were the equalizer, but he should've been doing them more years and years ago. Even when Max was dominant and winning, his boxing style still put him in danger, he was just fortunate enough to absorb the punishment.

Last edited:
I'd favor Volk but I don't think it would surprise me if Holloway got it done. He just doesn't pack the power that Topuria does in my opinion. However, it's MMA, and anything can happen especially with a guy as good as Holloway. I'd comfortably favor Volk, but with his chin as it is and his age, nothing would surprise me.

Holloway doesn't exactly look like a spring chicken either. He may be young on paper but he has taken a crazy amount of damage and is on the downhill part of his career now even if it's not happening at a rapid rate IMHO

The division is starting to catch up to these guys after they had a very dominant run on top and Holloway having 1 finish in 6 years over the corpse of Korean Zombie is not exactly convincing me he has adjusted significantly post-Volk. The Gaethje fight will put Max's career on borrowed time IMHO

The shot that knocked him out would have knocked out anyone. It is far too early to declare him finished or chinny. Topuria has real stopping power. Holloway does not.
mach + topuria consecutive KO's can change a man, and he's kind of old too, not getting better. Dude is damaged goods, like stipe

I think he would beat the Volk we saw against Ilia. Showing up to fight only a few short months after getting KO'd like he did against Islam was a bad choice. 2 back to back knockout losses like that and I don't suspect we will see vintage Volk again. It happens to everyone eventually, he had a great run.

The shot that knocked him out would have knocked out anyone. It is far too early to declare him finished or chinny. Topuria has real stopping power. Holloway does not.
Apparently you didn't get the memo:

Any fighter who gets KO'd is deemed "Chinny" as all KO's = Chuck getting KO'd by Tito in standup.
1708643113978.png

Back