Multiplatform Last game you played that you considered a masterpiece 10/10.

Forspoken. I am surprised that no so many people are shouting for a sequel.

Dishonored 2. In fact this thread makes me wanna play through it again.

Ghost of Tsushima

Surpassed all my expectations and just might be my favorite game of all time. I stayed away from spoilers and most media until I got a PS5 and got the Director's Cut. That was an excellent decision on my part.

Honorable mention to Witcher 3- Hearts of Stone DLC. Brilliant writing, brilliant gameplay, brilliant execution. The theme and Olgierd von Everec's arc still haunt me and resonate with me, several years after playing it.

Nice shout outs to CP 2077 I really enjoyed that too, surpassed my expectations as well.
I'm buying Ghost of Tsushima when it hits PC so this is great to hear.

Honorable mention to Hades, Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal as far as recent-ish games. Doom 2016 and Eternal get 10/10 for the single player, the multi in both is lacking. I enjoy Eternal more gameplay wise but atmosphere wise 2016 is tighter.

They don't really make masterpieces anymore. I'd have to go back to KOTOR

And you'd have to put on coke-bottle nostalgia glasses to see KOTOR as a 'masterpiece.'

I love both games, but aside from the stories, characters, music, and voice acting.... both games have horrible gameplay and RPG mechanics, and even running from destination to destination was monotonous.

Don't get me wrong, they were great for 2003 & 2004, and they're still the two best Star Wars games ever.... but in most aspects they've aged like milk.

And you'd have to put on coke-bottle nostalgia glasses to see KOTOR as a 'masterpiece.'

I love both games, but aside from the stories, characters, music, and voice acting.... both games have horrible gameplay and RPG mechanics, and even running from destination to destination was monotonous.

Don't get me wrong, they were great for 2003 & 2004, and they're still the two best Star Wars games ever.... but in most aspects they've aged like milk.
If it was a masterpiece in 2003 then it still is now. Just because things have changed doesn't change what the game was in its own time.

Truthfully it's pretty hard for me to think of a game in 2024 that is so far ahead of the pack like that game was at the time and if there was one it would come to mind quite easily I would think.

I'd disagree with the RPG mechanics. Other than the graphics, which is only natural, I think the only thing that hasn't aged well(and wasn't really good to begin with) is the combat. I can forgive it not having some QOL improvements of modern games. It is a bit jarring having to actually read mission descriptions to figure out where to go, and having to actually use the map and not a GPS waypoint marker to get there, but it's not a deal breaker. One could argue that it's better than modern games in that regard, since it doesn't hold your hand as much.

I'd disagree with the RPG mechanics. Other than the graphics, which is only natural, I think the only thing that hasn't aged well(and wasn't really good to begin with) is the combat. I can forgive it not having some QOL improvements of modern games. It is a bit jarring having to actually read mission descriptions to figure out where to go, and having to actually use the map and not a GPS waypoint marker to get there, but it's not a deal breaker. One could argue that it's better than modern games in that regard, since it doesn't hold your hand as much.

A masterpiece doesn't have to be 'literally perfect' in every way. It just has to do what it set out to do in an examplary way and have a huge impact. KOTOR is absolutely a masterpiece, as is Chrono Trigger, and Street Fighter 2.

None of these games are flawless.

Back