Crime What did the cops do wrong today Megathread Vol. 6 ? (who knows, lots of cop threads)

I quoted you because you responded to my original post and were credulous about the cop's story.
I’ve never given any opinion on this case. My initial response to you was just stating the facts. You posted a video and I pointed out that it was not the video of the incident as there is no such video in existence

The tweeter going out of his way to point out that the AG is a Jewish lesbian shows what his motives are. Guy having a gun offense does raise concern, but I'd like to see/hear bodycam footage of the incident to see if this is something they were worried about in the moment.
Getting caught with a gun two years ago should be a consideration and not a determining factor

Getting caught with a gun two years ago should be a consideration and not a determining factor
You think the guy (with a history of illegal possession of a firearm) running from cops suddenly found Jesus or something?

Rare Cop tells an elected official to stand down, credit where credit is due:

What'd this cop do wrong? Not properly secure his patrol car . . .

I am not surprised about the attempted murder charge. IMO, it was probably the right call. But the rest of this is absurd. Not guilty by reason of insanity and released back onto the streets. Cook county is out of control. She definitely maliciously wounded a police officer, stole his cruiser, broke millions of traffic violations, and wrecked into five occupied vehicles. I hope that judge gets fucking slammed if she ends up killing someone.

Four days before the shooting and killing of Roger Fortson, Deputy Eddie Duran tendered his resignation.
In an email to Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Human Resources, Duran revealed that he would resign and requested part-time employment “due to family hardships.”

@nhbbear Is this normal for a cop to still be on the street after resigning? Sounds to me like a successful civil suit against the PD.

Four days before the shooting and killing of Roger Fortson, Deputy Eddie Duran tendered his resignation.
In an email to Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Human Resources, Duran revealed that he would resign and requested part-time employment “due to family hardships.”

@nhbbear Is this normal for a cop to still be on the street after resigning? Sounds to me like a successful civil suit against the PD.

I have never heard of anyone doing so, but if the department has part-time officers or “reserve officers” I don’t see why it would be an issue to request such a position if he needs to work less hours to care for an ailing loved one or some other issue. Maybe he has a young baby and his wife makes enough money to afford them the same lifestyle (with some adjustments) they are accustomed to. It also could have been a two week notice?

However, the shooting of Fortson was not justified at all and the family has a huge lawsuit even without that resignation. Fortson was holding a gun by his side, which I can maybe understand drawing his firearm out of the shock of seeing one and asking Fortson to put the gun down but Fortson would not have to-I am actually not 100% on this-. If it was holstered, I know he wouldn’t have to unless Fortson was a suspect in some crime and was being patted down for weapons. If I recall, it was a call about a loud argument possibly coming from his apartment. Regardless, this was manslaughter at the least.

My department got sued a couple of years ago when they were investigating a man open-carrying in a restaurant, who called and said there was a man in there with a gun. Open and concealed carry are legal in my state and the most they could do was tell him the premesis was gun free and he could put the gun in his car or leave, and being private property, the restaurant has that option. Anyway, the chief and another officer instructed the man hand over his firearm while they investigated whether he was a felon or not and you can’t do that. You can ask them to, but can’t order him to because he wasn’t being accused of a crime, he was simply open carrying. Anyway, he sued and the city offered him a quick settlement for not very much money and he accepted and the chief apologized to him. I was so embarrassed by this and couldn’t believe the chief didn’t know better.

Here’s two poorly trained deputies that completely violated a man’s rights and the man knew his rights and it pissed the deputies off so they falsely arrested him. He is legally blind and had a folding walking stick in his back pocket. A female officer believed it was a gun and stopped him. Now, the man was a bit hostile initially by asking the officer if she was a tyrant when she asked what he had in his back pocket-BUT he did nothing wrong and her answer to that was fine “it looked like a firearm and I just wanted to make sure it was being carried correctly.” He then pulls out the walking stick to show it is not a weapon. Where she truly fucks up is that she demands his id and he refuses because he has that right and he says she has no reasonable articulable suspicion which is 100% correct.

He demands a supervisor who is right there and makes matters so much worse. When he continues to refuse to identify himself, they handcuff him, which already will get them sued justifiably. After they handcuff him, they search him and retrieve his id. She then hands back his id and says “now, was that hard?” And then the supervisor says “you know what, take him to jail for resisting and obstructing, and she arrests and charges him and takes him to jail and in doing so, violates his 4th amendment rights.

What scares me is that these officers are clearly incompetent and the way he pulls out the walking stick from his back pocket in a haste, he’s lucky she didn’t shoot him. Both officers suspended when they should have been fired. However, the female deputy was demoted to a non law enforcement position and the sergeant was demoted. Again, both should have been fired. But now maybe she has a lawsuit. The supervisor gave her an order to arrest him and he was only demoted and she was basically fired-which should have been the outcome for both of them. But why was he allowed to remain on the dept. the only thing I can think of was that she was still on probation and didn’t yet have a year on?

Also fucked up is that this case hasn’t been settled yet. They fucking owe him money and unless he is holding things up by demanding a jury trial-which makes sense since he would likely get more punitive damages.

Back