Advice you would give to a man in his late 20's?

Start putting money into VOO as early as you can. Don't fall for get rich quick schemes and the idea of 'managed investments', they only exist to pay themselves.

Looking for advice for a better future. What are some things you wish or would want to advise to someone in there late 20's? Been focusing on self improvement.
Im 46 and all I can say is don't have kids, travel as much as possible...and find something you absolutely love to do.

Always be on the lookout for interesting job prospects, and realize the value of working 2 or more part time jobs for its variety of experience and its ease on mental health. Obviously this depends on what you want for a career. You can't get away with being a part time beginner lawyer but I just know I'm always happiest when i don't have to go to the same place and do the same fucking thing 5 days a week. Especially if you can make these jobs different- one physical, one mental/emotional. And, related to this, actively look for weird jobs. Exchange willingness to work hard for someone teaching you the ropes of a new thing. You'd be surprised how much there is to learn about some seemingly simple manual labor job, for example, and in the coming economy, it seems like it's way better to be dynamic and multi skilled, with established social networks in a variety of fields, than to specialize in something ai will probably be doing in 10 years.

Remember to try abd ve honest with people. Sometimes you'll be thrown into ugly horseshit situations where there is no clear answer on what to do. Cultivate a habit of being responsible for your honesty and impact on other people. It really makes difficult times in life much more tolerable when you can say, at least I was honest, and I made an effort to not hurt, of even help, other people. This is a selfish thing, it makes your life easier.

Maintain relationships with your family. Do your best to find a way to keep the lines of communication open. Forgive old bullshit, keep connected. Family is extremely important and this becomes more apparent as you get older. If you're blessed enough to have a decent family, stay connected. Even if it's a shitty family, find a way to stay connected at least in a way that you can, whatever that looks like.
Really good advice.

So if I asked you about art you’d probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo? You know a lot about him. Life’s work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I bet you can’t tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You’ve never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that.

If I asked you about women you’d probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can’t tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy.

You’re a tough kid. I ask you about war, and you’d probably, uh, throw Shakespeare at me, right? “Once more into the breach, dear friends.” But you’ve never been near one. You’ve never held your best friend’s head in your lap and watched him gasp his last breath, looking to you for help.

And if I asked you about love you probably quote me a sonnet. But you’ve never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone could level you with her eyes. Feeling like! God put an angel on earth just for you…who could rescue you from the depths of hell.

And you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be her angel and to have that love for her to be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer. You wouldn’t know about sleeping sitting up in a hospital room for two months holding her hand because the doctors could see in your eyes that the term "visiting hours" doesn't apply to you. You don’t know about real loss, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you’ve ever dared to love anybody that much.

I look at you; I don’t see an intelligent, confident man; I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you’re a genius, young man. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine and you ripped my fuckin’ life apart. You’re an orphan right? Do you think I’d know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you?

Personally, I don’t give a shit about all that, because you know what? I can’t learn anything from you I can’t read in some fuckin’ book. Unless you wanna talk about you, who you are. And I’m fascinated. I’m in. But you don’t wanna do that, do you, sport? You’re terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief.

Im 46 and all I can say is don't have kids, travel as much as possible...and find something you absolutely love to do.
I'm your age and am starting to regret not having children. Could have made it worse - could have made it better.
Guess I'll never know.

I'm your age and am starting to regret not having children. Could have made it worse - could have made it better.
Guess I'll never know.

But hows your life right now sir?

Back