Crime Convicted Rapist Sentenced to Physical Castration

Hmm.

If he's getting 50 years, what's the point of castration? That would make more sense as an 'if he's ever released', but looking at him that seems unrealistic.

Not for me, though, that's something I'd expect in the third world.

Not that I sympathise for the POS.
Maybe the main purpose is to send a message to other potential rapists, I’m sure many will think twice knowing this could potentially happen if they’re caught.

I like it.

Eh, his choice and if it works that's great.
We do it here as well, and not just for child sex offenders. They chemically castrate people in care with brain injuries to make them easier to deal with (which I'm not OK with, but it doesn't happen in my state).

I wouldn't really call it his decision.

The DA would only accept a 50-year sentence if he accepted physical castration. What was the other option? Death sentence? How much worse could a sentence be than fifty years if not death?

The reasoning the DA gave was that even a fifty year sentence could be reduced in the future and he wanted a permanent solution in case that happened. If somehow he was released (or escaped, I imagine) that would end the chemical castration and he'd be the same recidivist rapist again (because these drugs are temporary).

I'm not defending this monster but I oppose the death penalty and oppose this kind of institutional barbarism. There's a reason many countries are hesitant to return criminals to America.

I'd be ok if the victims and their families were allowed to cave his skull in with baseball bats, so castration seems inconsequential to me.

I wouldn't really call it his decision.

The DA would only accept a 50-year sentence if he accepted physical castration. What was the other option? Death sentence? How much worse could a sentence be than fifty years if not death?

The reasoning the DA gave was that even a fifty year sentence could be reduced in the future and he wanted a permanent solution in case that happened. If somehow he was released (or escaped, I imagine) that would end the chemical castration and he'd be the same recidivist rapist again (because these drugs are temporary).

I'm not defending this monster but I oppose the death penalty and oppose this kind of institutional barbarism. There's a reason many countries are hesitant to return criminals to America.

Well it certainly wouldn't be a real "choice" if it was a condition of a plea deal to avoid the death penalty.
I think here it's actually a choice (for sex offenders), although obviously it would still be a factor in parole hearings.
I also oppose the death penalty and corporal punishment, although I'm not against compulsory treatment orders in all cases.

Well it certainly wouldn't be a real "choice" if it was a condition of a plea deal to avoid the death penalty.
I think here it's actually a choice (for sex offenders), although obviously it would still be a factor in parole hearings.
I also oppose the death penalty and corporal punishment, although I'm not against compulsory treatment orders in all cases.

I looked more carefully and apparently this is on the books, so the death penalty wasn't on the table:

On June 25, 2008, the Supreme Court, splitting 5–4, held that "the Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and was not intended to result, in the victim's death."

I'm definitely curious as to what was worse than fifty years plus physical castration, maybe a life sentence.

Here is what I do not understand....This career criminal rapes and impregnates a 14 year old. He threatens and abuses her as well. I am great with the 50 years and also the castration. My question is, when I go to my local Amber's Law website to see the convicted sex criminals that live in my town, I see people that have done things that are unspeakable and have only served a few years? Check your local registry sites and enter your zip....you will be astounded. I applaud LA. and wish all states took a hard line approach to child rapists and molesters.

I don’t see an issue. If you rape someone, you should lose your ability to reproduce

Hard to sympathize with a pedophile. But something about cruel and unusual punishment. And this sick fuck would still reoffend if he were released, regardless of castration. Locking him up for life is ideal.

Considering he's getting 50 years is kinda pointless but i'm not against it, i believe concept of punishment should be part of justice

Now if done to rapists getting 5-10 years (as long there's 100% prof of the crime) it may have also an useful side

From now on all criticisms of punitive amputation in the global south will be invalid. Curious if this guy will be allowed HRT patches or if he will simply have to suffer the consequences of having zero testosterone (chronic depression, goes thru menopause even though your a man, and very high rates of arthritis).

I'm sure that this will be overturned as being cruel and unusual.

Should just remove the dick and let them piss like girls. Prison rape's gonna feel different for him.

Hmm.

If he's getting 50 years, what's the point of castration? That would make more sense as an 'if he's ever released', but looking at him that seems unrealistic.

Might stop him from raping some other prisoners, 50 years is a long time to just jack off into a tissue.

Hmm.

Because it's a damn good deterrent to others if they know rape means they get their balls cut off.

Back