Fights to Make After UFC 300

Siver!

Spinning Back Kick Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alex Pereira (c) vs Jiri Prochazka II – Strike while the iron is hot and while UFC 300 is still fresh in people’s minds. Jiri channelled his inner warrior to finish Aleksandar Rakic, and his fights are always fun. A rematch might feel a little soon, but I love the narrative, and I love the prospect of the fight, too. This isn’t one of those pointless rematches nobody wants, this is the best there is stylistically. How does Jiri respond to getting vanquished last time? Can Alex Pereira roll ever onwards? Let’s find out!

Jamahal Hill vs Magomed Ankalaev – There’s no way Ankalaev is the number one contender like he claims, I think that’s more media nonsense from the manager. 1 win in 3 just doesn’t do it, and Ankalaev already blew his chance once. Give him Jamahal Hill. May the best man win. Hill got starched tonight, but he's still up there, and would be a big win for Magomed.

Weili Zhang (c) vs Tatiana Suarez – I don’t like the idea that Suarez getting a title shot after pulling out of a fight, but these things happen, and it’s the obvious next defence in my eyes. This is a good fight between two very experienced martial artists, Suarez doesn’t have quite as much money-in-the-bank in terms of MMA experience, but she’s got a bunch of accolades behind her. She’s also undefeated and tapped Jessica Andrade last time out. She’s a threat.

Yan Xiaonan vs Jessica Andrade – Yan Xiaonan got choked out in R1, but it was missed somehow, and she fought on like a warrior. She didn’t get the nod, but she could get a high level strawweight bout next against a fresh opponent in Jessica Andrade. A huge fight for both.

Max Holloway vs Ilia Topuria (c) – Man, oh man, Max bossed UFC 300! He made this show truly, truly special! His boxing, the spinning back kicks, the volume, the ringmanship, the KNOCK OUT SHOT – this was Holloway at his absolute finest without needing to land 400+ strikes against an overmatched opponent. He moved up a weight class, he won in one-of-a-kind fashion, he absorbed some heavy shots too – give him Topuria. It might be his last ever UFC title shot but give it to that man and let him have a crack at getting that belt back at long last!

Justin Gaethje vs Benoit St Denis – I think it’s either BSD or Dan Hooker, and I know which fight I’d prefer! Gaethje is so god damn enjoyable, I’d like to see him face someone with that same nasty disposition and a real intensity for finishing fights. Maybe it won’t be for that stupid BMF belt, but it’s kinda the same thing, right? It gives BSD a second chance to score a career-best win and elevate himself to the elite level, but it also gives Justin the chance to look amazing in a WAR – against the self-professed ‘God of War’. Yes please.

Arman Tsarukyan vs Islam Makhachev (c) II – Great outing for Arman Tsarukyan, he takes the #1 contender spot and should face Islam Makhachev next. Given that Ali Abdelaziz didn’t get Islam-Dustin over the line (nice try…), I think we can move past that attempt now, and just book Islam against Arman in a rematch. You don’t beat Charles and not get a title shot, and if you do, you certainly don’t lose that title shot to someone who lost to Gaethje but then beat Benoit St Denis, the lowest ranked contender anyone in the top 5 fought recently. That makes no sense. Sorry, Dustin.

Charles Oliveira vs Mateusz Gamrot – One of the big winners tonight might just be Mateusz Gamrot, one of the tidiest grapplers in the UFC – he could now get a chance to face one of the best submission artists in the UFC, in what should be a barn-burner! The back-and-forth in this fight could be legendary, and now that it makes sense from a matchmaking perspective, I’d try to pull the trigger immediately. Gamrot has won 6 of 7, including beating Arman Tsarukyan.

Bo Nickal vs Jacob Malkoun – I’ve got to be honest, I have no real investment in Bo right now, I don’t know why Bo is talking about Anthony Hernandez when he’s looking so unimpressive in terms of Jiu Jitsu. Hernandez is far, far, far better than Bo, to the point Bo taking Hernandez down only works against him. Give him Jacob Malkoun, someone similar to Brundage but with more heart and desire. Malkoun isn’t necessarily lightyears ahead of Brundage technically, but he’s definitely harder to beat. This is going to be a slow burn, hopefully Bo can learn and develop into a fighter of interest, but watching him learn basics on the job is a real turn off. That sounds awfully negative, I’m sorry.

Cody Brundage – CUT! Cody doesn’t belong in the UFC, I don’t need to see him lose even more fights to prove it, he’s not horrible, but he’s just not got that dog in him. There’s just no point.

Jiri Prochazka vs Alex Pereira II (see above)

Aleksandar Rakic vs Nikita Krylov – Rakic is good, he’s technical, he’s aggressive, but he couldn’t deal with Jiri walking him down despite taking a ton of damage, and that proved the difference tonight. Rakic had been out nearly two years, is now on a 2-fight skid, and I’d like to see him get a fight with Krylov next. Krylov has won 3 straight, he deserves the step up, Rakic needs the step down in competition (but only slightly), this is #5 vs #6 and it’s a fresh match up. Book it!

Aljamain Sterling vs Movsar Evloev – Assuming Topuria-Evloev isn’t somehow in the works, I’d love to see Movsar get a crack at a former UFC champion. For Movsar, it’s not so much proving he’s a contender, it’s more about getting a really top name on his résumé because, let’s be honest, he hasn’t got one as it stands. This could either be the win that puts Movsar over the top, or Aljamain announces his arrival into the top 5 at featherweight. It’s a win-win for the UFC, in all honesty. May the best grappler win!

Calvin Kattar vs Diego Lopes – Diego Lopes has rinsed 3 straight opponents with R1KO’s, and tonight’s performance against Sodiq Yusuff was nothing short of extraordinary. His uppercuts landed twice and shut Sodiq down both times. All right, kid, let’s see if you can do the same against a man that has been a perennial top 10 at featherweight, without ever really establishing himself as an elite contender. Calvin Katter got out-grappled tonight, but when he establishes an advantage he tends to run away with contests. Can he test Lopes by dragging the Brazilian killer out of R1? Most likely…

Kayla Harrison vs Raquel Pennington (c) – Does anyone really want to see Pennington defend against Julianna Pena more than they want this fight? Because I want to see the exciting new monster shoot for the top right away. No messing around. The UFC have got an animal on their hands who might just breath new life into the bantamweight division.

Holly Holm vs Norma Dumont – Holly Holm got her tactics wrong, but that didn’t stop Kayla Harrison absolutely beasting ‘The Preacher’s Daughter’ with some excellent Judo and world class ground and pound. Holm could use a little bit of a break from elite competition and face an up-and-comer like Norma next. Let’s see how good Dumont really is.

Diego Lopes vs Calvin Kattar (see above)

Sodiq Yusuff vs Pat Sabatini – Yusuff might just fall out of the featherweight rankings after this defeat and given his best win in the past 5 years is Alex Caceres, I think that would be justified. He needs a slight step down in competition without totally pulling the rug from under him, and I think Sabatini looks about right. Both have struggled against a higher level of competition, both coming off losses (2 in a row for Yusuff), I think this is fair on the pair of them.

Renato Moicano vs Beneil Dariush – Moicano climbs above Jalin Turner in the rankings despite getting all-but-starched in Round One, but he’s not going to worry about that. The Brazilian has won 3 in a row, Brad Riddell, Drew Dober, and now Jalin Turner as he cuts a swathe straight through the lightweight division’s striking fraternity. Give him Dariush next. Dariush has been stopped by R1KO twice in a row and has to prove he’s still got something in the tank as the #7 at 155. Beating Moicano would show he still belongs.

Jalin Turner vs Fares Ziam – Jalin Turner tried the walk off KO and BOY did it backfire! Turner suffers his third defeat in four fights through sheer bad decision making, and that’s the kind of performance that leaves him needing to prove he’s worthy of being a ranked fighter in my opinion. Give him surging Frenchman Fares Ziam, 5-2 in the UFC, 3 wins in a row, let’s see if he can turn it up and claim that rankings spot.

Jessica Andrade vs Yan Xiaonan (see above)

Marina Rodriguez vs Loma Lookboonmee – I know Loma has lost a couple of fights against higher level competition, but she’s looked great lately and is a 3-fight win streak. Her striking is serious, and Marina is sure to strike with her, making a potentially fun fight, plus you have to factor in Marina has pretty much fought everyone in the strawweight top 10, and we need a new challenge for her as she loses for the third time in four fights. I wouldn’t be surprised if Loma got a lower level opponent because this is a huge step up, but you know what? She’s 28 now, let’s see where she’s at.

Bobby Green vs Paddy Pimblett – Bobby Green called for it, he said he’d head over to Manchester, and he said he’d kick Paddy’s ass – well, Paddy has been right here on Sherdog demanding a ranked opponent, and I don’t think for a second he’d back down. The timing feels right, the match itself is super fun, Bobby is a great boxer, Paddy is a lethal grappler, there’s a ranking spot on the line, let’s go to war!

Jim Miller vs Tony Ferguson – Ferguson tied the longest losing streak in UFC history, and he certainly won’t want to become the absolute holder of that record – but he’ll have to get through someone like Jim Miller to avoid that ignominy. Ferguson said he wants to ‘fight until the wheels fall off’, well maybe this will be his last, maybe it won’t, but I doubt anyone would complain if these two JBG legends made it a double retirement – or just carried on… either way, fun fight at this stage!

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Petr Yan – Deiveson Figueiredo puts Cody Garbrandt away with an awesome display of grappling, getting the second round submission against a guy in Garbrandt that history does not get tapped. I’d like to see him move straight into contention for the top 5 and see him matching up nicely with Yan. Yan snapped a three-fight losing streak against Song Yadong last time out, and I see this as such a high level fight that the winner is immediately in the frame for a shot at the belt – perhaps this fight isn’t a contender eliminator, but it’s certainly close to it. And it’s mouth-watering!

Cody Garbrandt vs Raoni Barcelos – Many will remember these as ‘the guys that beat Trevin Jones’ – okay, okay, I’m joking, but the reality is we’re looking at two uber-veterans who have struggled for high level wins but are still fun as hell and legitimately high level. If Cody wants to keep fighting and is aiming for those ranking spots, a win over Raoni puts him back in the discussion. If he loses, it could be time to call it a day, as Raoni is one of those guys you kind of have to beat at this stage of his career, without being any kind of push over.

As you saw my prelim picks, here are my main card ones:
- Alex Pereira vs. Magomed Ankalaev
- Jamahal Hill vs. Khalil Rountree
- Weili Zhang vs. Tatiana Suarez
- Yan Xiaonan vs. Amanda Lemos
- Max Holloway vs. Ilia Topuria
- Justin Gaethje vs. Dan hooker
- Arman Tsarukyan vs. Islam Makhachev
- Charles Oliveira vs. Mateusz Gamrot
- Bo Nickal vs. Josh Fremd
- Cody Brundage vs. Aliaskhab Khizriev

Not sure BSD should be rewarded for losing to Dustin with the guy who just beat Dustin. So think hooker deserves a step up

The only two fighters that aren't booked yet for Bo Nickal are Jack Hermansson and Nassourdine Imavov. Either would be fine. I think Bo should aim to fight next at International Fight Week. This fight, realistically, didn't take much out of him. He should not require a significant turnaround period.

Magomed should get the shot. UFC can have that fight done quick and over with in 3 months. I think Jiri vs Hill is good.

Max Topuria is absolutely the fight to make. UFC needs to capitalize on this momentum for Holloway plus it's a badass fight that will deliver. Ilia just did an interview and said it's clear his next fight will be against Holloway and gave him congratulations. Then he said Max will have to go to the back of the line afterwards, still cocky I see.

Max vs Topuria would be the smart move, but if Conor beats Chandler in June I would honestly love to see a Max vs Conor rematch at LW. In the meantime give Volk his rematch against Topuria and then we can go from there.

didnt read this wall of text, lets use simple rule "winners vs. winners and losers vs. losers"
goatan - weili
xolloway - tsarykyan
bum nickal - jiri
sterling - harrison
suqdick youshook - turner
andrade - bobbert green

Yan already koed Andrade while Andrade charged forward spamming the same hook like 5 times for some reason, but those two are bangers, so I’d watch again lol

Cody Garbrandt vs. Ricky Simon - Both these guys are coming off a tough loss. Both are IMO guys worthy of being in the rankings. I think this is a good rebound for the pair.
Deveison Figueiredo vs. Petr Yan - Yan needs another fight before getting a shot at the title. Deveison has looked good at 135 so far. This could be a title eliminator bout.
Jim Miller vs. Tony Ferguson - I know Tony should retire but he wants another fight. I think giving Miller someone with a name is also good. I do actually quite like this fight for the pair of them.
Bobby Green vs. Rafael Dos Anjos - Solid win for Green tonight. Fun little fight and a good rebound. I really like this as a bout for both him and RDA.
Marina Rodriguez vs. Lupita Godinez - Tough loss for Rodriguez, I at one stage thought she might come back as she was landing quite clean. I think her and Loopy make sense for next.
Jessica Andrade vs. Virna Jandiroba - I think this fight makes sense for both women. Each coming off a decision victory. Winner gets a title contender bout.
Jalin Turner vs. Benoit Saint-Denis - I feel like for both these men, poor decision making cost them big victories and led to them later getting finished. Must win for both men.
Renato Moicano vs. Dan Hooker - Think this truly has the makings of a great fight. Definitely want to see this next.
Sodiq Yusuff vs. Christian Rodriguez - Sodiq falls out of the 15 with this loss. I think he doesn't fall too far though, I like him getting a rebound and Rodriguez getting a high profile opponent.
Diego Lopes vs. Edson Barboza - Great showing for Lopes here. Couldn't have entered the rankings better. Give this man, a tough name veteran next and we'll see how far he can go.
Holly Holm vs. Karol Rosa - Rough night for Holly. I do question her decision making. She falls bigtime now from the top 5. She needs to win this to stay in the top ten.
Kayla Harrison vs. Ketlen Viera (Title eliminator) or Raquel Pennington (Title shot) - Kayla looked great tonight. Honestly in a division which needs a shot in the arm, either give her the title fight or a contender fight.
Calvin Kattar vs. Alex Caceres - Rough night for Calvin. The grappling of Sterling really took him off his game. He definitely falls out of the top ten with this. Must win for him and Caceres.
Aljamain Sterling vs. Brian Ortega - With Max jumping the queue with his win, I say let's put Sterling in some deep waters with another skilled grappler at the new weight. Must be said I did like what I saw from Aljo here.
Aleksandar Rakic vs. Johnny Walker - Rebound for both. Each coming off a stoppage loss.
Cody Brundage vs. Brad Tavares - I liked the wild start from Brundage but he didn't really have much for Nickal. I do think he has some potential, so I'd like to see how he fares with Brad.
Bo Nickal vs. Gerald Meerschaert - As fucked as it is I debated saying Chris Weidman. Nickal needs a test, I think a skilled veteran like Gerald makes sense.
Charles Oliveira vs. Mateusz Gamrot - Tough loss for Charles tonight. He didn't look bad though against Arman. I like this bout next for him against a fellow grappler.
Arman Tsarukyan vs. Islam/Dustin winner - Arman has earned his shot with this win. He's overcome adversity to get there also.
Justin Gaethje vs. Beneil Dariush - Tough loss for Gaethje but respect for going out on his sword. This would be a good turn around bout for him in my opinion.
Max Holloway vs. Ilia Topuria - Let's do this. Max has earned another crack at the 145 title with this win. Honestly I really am up for this one.
Yan Xiaonan vs. Amanda Lemos - Credit to Yan for surviving and making a fight of it. I think this makes for a good turn around for her.
Weili Zhang vs. Tatiana Suarez - I do think Weili should have won tonight in round one. I think a fresh opponent is in order and I think we do have one in Suarez.
Jamahal Hill vs. Jiri Prochazka - Both men had different fortunes tonight. I know many will be advocating a Jiri/Pereira rematch and rightly so. I just personally feel it's tough to do it right away after only one win. So I'm not against him fighting once more against the man he was supposed to fight before he got injured.
Alex Pereira vs. Magomed Ankalaev - Alex at heavyweight is definitely an interesting prospect for the future. In the meantime I think this fight makes some sense for him. Ankalaev looked good putting away Walker. If he beats Ankalaev, then perhaps we see him against Tom.

Pereira vs Ankalaev - we all know the test for Pereira will be someone who will grapple him. And Ankalaev said he was offered the UFC 300 spot (don't know if true)
Hill vs Prochazka - Both strikers, both lost to Pereira and it could be a banger
Zhang vs Tatiana Suarez - I am curious to see what Zhang could do to a big grappler
Xiaonan vs Lemos - She already fought the rest of the division
Holloway vs Topuria - Let's see what Topuria can do vs a better boxer (grapple?)
Gaethje - get some rest and maybe go to the Netherlands train with Verhoeven or Hoost and learn what to do with his leg kicks, set up combos after that - He could come back end of the year for Gaethje vs Poirier 3
Tsarukyan vs winner of Makhachev / Poirier
- Give him his TS
Oliveira vs Gamrot - Good rebound fight for Oliveira who is still elite and a good test for Gamrot who struggle to have scheduled fights with better-ranked fighters
Nickal vs Weidman - Give him a name as I think he still needs at least 1 fight before fighting ranked opponents
Brundage vs Puna Soriano - Both fighters need a win or a good performance
Rakic vs Roundtree - I think Rakic is good and Roundtree would be a good prospect to test him. Is he way above the prospects that are ranked 5-10 or is it where he belongs?
Sterling vs Evloev - It was clearly a snoozer from Sterling in a card that delivered. I don't think they will let him wrestlefuck a fan favourite. Evloev might be in a quite similar situation but will benefit from beating an ex-champ who is still elite
Kattar vs winner of Murphy vs Barboza - He needs to fight down but still ranked opponents
Harrison vs Pena if Pennington doesn't want to fight soon, Harrison vs Ketlen Vieira if Pena and Pennington are fighting soon
Holm vs GDR 2 - Put her with a striker and the WBW division is so shit that no one in top 10-15 will highly benefit from this victory
Lopes vs Arnold Allen - He is now ranked, I hope around 8-10. Book him with tough fighters like Emmett or Arnold Allen. Allen should be fighting in Manchester I guess and Lopes should be fresh after 3-4 weeks off. Emmett has just beaten a prospect while Allen is 0-2
Yusuf vs Naimov - He might be out of the rankings or #15 above Caceres and He will continue fighting unranked prospects at 145. I am high on Naimov who has weird bookings, from a win over Nathaniel Wood to fighting newcomers or 50-50 fighters. Alternatives could be Zalal, Kyle Nelson or even Damon Jackson
Moicano vs Dariush - Turner fumbled the bag at the end of R1 and Moicano showed a better gameplan's adaptation. He just grappled two strikers, Dober and Turner, and his last lost is to RDA. Let's test him vs a good grappler. It could be a good opportunity for Dariush to come back without being too gun-shy fighting a KO artist
Turner vs Grant Dawson - He will still be ranked and will have to face a good unranked fighter. Matching with Dawson will help understand whether Dawson can set up his TDs vs elite strikers after his loss to Green or if Turner can grapple with a wrestler better than yesterday. I don't want to give him the easy road with a striker or give Dawson a gimme fight vs a Diego Ferreira
Andrade vs Virna Jandiroba - She lost to Zhang, Suarez and Xiaonan but has beaten Dern and Lemos. She seems like a gatekeeper to a title contender fight. Jandiroba is the closest to this position as she is 3-0 and has also beaten Rodriguez
Rodriguez vs Lupita Godinez in the Sphere for Mexican Day
Green vs Pimblett in Manchester - Bobby Green loves the lights and he is still winnable for Patrick Pimblett who might have better grappling skills
Miller vs Michael Johnson - I don't want to see him fight young prospects and the UFC is not paying Ferguson half a mil to fight Miller and he already fought Guida and Joe Lauzon
Figgy vs Petr Yan - I like the new Figgy who will go to the ground if he is losing the striking. Let's test Yan's TD defense and ability to grapple with someone who seems a better grappler than Yadong
Garbrandt vs Vinicius Oliveira - He is still a good fighter but looked like he hasn't grappled in years. Make friends with Sterling and Merab if he is closer to Syndicate MMA or Albazi and the Basharat bros if he prefers Xtreme Couture but he should get rid of his striking-only training approach. Vinicius has only 1 fight in the UFC but might be a silent killer and it will let time for Garbrandt to work onn his grappling

Not sure BSD should be rewarded for losing to Dustin with the guy who just beat Dustin. So think hooker deserves a step up
I mean shut up, who doesnt want to see Gaethje vs BSD !? And why should your logic prevails, I dunno, Hooker lost to Dustin so why give him to the guy who beat Dustin ? Non sense.

Alex Pereira (c) vs Jiri Prochazka II – Strike while the iron is hot and while UFC 300 is still fresh in people’s minds. Jiri channelled his inner warrior to finish Aleksandar Rakic, and his fights are always fun. A rematch might feel a little soon, but I love the narrative, and I love the prospect of the fight, too. This isn’t one of those pointless rematches nobody wants, this is the best there is stylistically. How does Jiri respond to getting vanquished last time? Can Alex Pereira roll ever onwards? Let’s find out!

Jamahal Hill vs Magomed Ankalaev – There’s no way Ankalaev is the number one contender like he claims, I think that’s more media nonsense from the manager. 1 win in 3 just doesn’t do it, and Ankalaev already blew his chance once. Give him Jamahal Hill. May the best man win. Hill got starched tonight, but he's still up there, and would be a big win for Magomed.

Weili Zhang (c) vs Tatiana Suarez – I don’t like the idea that Suarez getting a title shot after pulling out of a fight, but these things happen, and it’s the obvious next defence in my eyes. This is a good fight between two very experienced martial artists, Suarez doesn’t have quite as much money-in-the-bank in terms of MMA experience, but she’s got a bunch of accolades behind her. She’s also undefeated and tapped Jessica Andrade last time out. She’s a threat.

Yan Xiaonan vs Jessica Andrade – Yan Xiaonan got choked out in R1, but it was missed somehow, and she fought on like a warrior. She didn’t get the nod, but she could get a high level strawweight bout next against a fresh opponent in Jessica Andrade. A huge fight for both.

Max Holloway vs Ilia Topuria (c) – Man, oh man, Max bossed UFC 300! He made this show truly, truly special! His boxing, the spinning back kicks, the volume, the ringmanship, the KNOCK OUT SHOT – this was Holloway at his absolute finest without needing to land 400+ strikes against an overmatched opponent. He moved up a weight class, he won in one-of-a-kind fashion, he absorbed some heavy shots too – give him Topuria. It might be his last ever UFC title shot but give it to that man and let him have a crack at getting that belt back at long last!

Justin Gaethje vs Benoit St Denis – I think it’s either BSD or Dan Hooker, and I know which fight I’d prefer! Gaethje is so god damn enjoyable, I’d like to see him face someone with that same nasty disposition and a real intensity for finishing fights. Maybe it won’t be for that stupid BMF belt, but it’s kinda the same thing, right? It gives BSD a second chance to score a career-best win and elevate himself to the elite level, but it also gives Justin the chance to look amazing in a WAR – against the self-professed ‘God of War’. Yes please.

Arman Tsarukyan vs Islam Makhachev (c) II – Great outing for Arman Tsarukyan, he takes the #1 contender spot and should face Islam Makhachev next. Given that Ali Abdelaziz didn’t get Islam-Dustin over the line (nice try…), I think we can move past that attempt now, and just book Islam against Arman in a rematch. You don’t beat Charles and not get a title shot, and if you do, you certainly don’t lose that title shot to someone who lost to Gaethje but then beat Benoit St Denis, the lowest ranked contender anyone in the top 5 fought recently. That makes no sense. Sorry, Dustin.

Charles Oliveira vs Mateusz Gamrot – One of the big winners tonight might just be Mateusz Gamrot, one of the tidiest grapplers in the UFC – he could now get a chance to face one of the best submission artists in the UFC, in what should be a barn-burner! The back-and-forth in this fight could be legendary, and now that it makes sense from a matchmaking perspective, I’d try to pull the trigger immediately. Gamrot has won 6 of 7, including beating Arman Tsarukyan.

Bo Nickal vs Jacob Malkoun – I’ve got to be honest, I have no real investment in Bo right now, I don’t know why Bo is talking about Anthony Hernandez when he’s looking so unimpressive in terms of Jiu Jitsu. Hernandez is far, far, far better than Bo, to the point Bo taking Hernandez down only works against him. Give him Jacob Malkoun, someone similar to Brundage but with more heart and desire. Malkoun isn’t necessarily lightyears ahead of Brundage technically, but he’s definitely harder to beat. This is going to be a slow burn, hopefully Bo can learn and develop into a fighter of interest, but watching him learn basics on the job is a real turn off. That sounds awfully negative, I’m sorry.

Cody Brundage – CUT! Cody doesn’t belong in the UFC, I don’t need to see him lose even more fights to prove it, he’s not horrible, but he’s just not got that dog in him. There’s just no point.

Jiri Prochazka vs Alex Pereira II (see above)

Aleksandar Rakic vs Nikita Krylov – Rakic is good, he’s technical, he’s aggressive, but he couldn’t deal with Jiri walking him down despite taking a ton of damage, and that proved the difference tonight. Rakic had been out nearly two years, is now on a 2-fight skid, and I’d like to see him get a fight with Krylov next. Krylov has won 3 straight, he deserves the step up, Rakic needs the step down in competition (but only slightly), this is #5 vs #6 and it’s a fresh match up. Book it!

Aljamain Sterling vs Movsar Evloev – Assuming Topuria-Evloev isn’t somehow in the works, I’d love to see Movsar get a crack at a former UFC champion. For Movsar, it’s not so much proving he’s a contender, it’s more about getting a really top name on his résumé because, let’s be honest, he hasn’t got one as it stands. This could either be the win that puts Movsar over the top, or Aljamain announces his arrival into the top 5 at featherweight. It’s a win-win for the UFC, in all honesty. May the best grappler win!

Calvin Kattar vs Diego Lopes – Diego Lopes has rinsed 3 straight opponents with R1KO’s, and tonight’s performance against Sodiq Yusuff was nothing short of extraordinary. His uppercuts landed twice and shut Sodiq down both times. All right, kid, let’s see if you can do the same against a man that has been a perennial top 10 at featherweight, without ever really establishing himself as an elite contender. Calvin Katter got out-grappled tonight, but when he establishes an advantage he tends to run away with contests. Can he test Lopes by dragging the Brazilian killer out of R1? Most likely…

Kayla Harrison vs Raquel Pennington (c) – Does anyone really want to see Pennington defend against Julianna Pena more than they want this fight? Because I want to see the exciting new monster shoot for the top right away. No messing around. The UFC have got an animal on their hands who might just breath new life into the bantamweight division.

Holly Holm vs Norma Dumont – Holly Holm got her tactics wrong, but that didn’t stop Kayla Harrison absolutely beasting ‘The Preacher’s Daughter’ with some excellent Judo and world class ground and pound. Holm could use a little bit of a break from elite competition and face an up-and-comer like Norma next. Let’s see how good Dumont really is.

Diego Lopes vs Calvin Kattar (see above)

Sodiq Yusuff vs Pat Sabatini – Yusuff might just fall out of the featherweight rankings after this defeat and given his best win in the past 5 years is Alex Caceres, I think that would be justified. He needs a slight step down in competition without totally pulling the rug from under him, and I think Sabatini looks about right. Both have struggled against a higher level of competition, both coming off losses (2 in a row for Yusuff), I think this is fair on the pair of them.

Renato Moicano vs Beneil Dariush – Moicano climbs above Jalin Turner in the rankings despite getting all-but-starched in Round One, but he’s not going to worry about that. The Brazilian has won 3 in a row, Brad Riddell, Drew Dober, and now Jalin Turner as he cuts a swathe straight through the lightweight division’s striking fraternity. Give him Dariush next. Dariush has been stopped by R1KO twice in a row and has to prove he’s still got something in the tank as the #7 at 155. Beating Moicano would show he still belongs.

Jalin Turner vs Fares Ziam – Jalin Turner tried the walk off KO and BOY did it backfire! Turner suffers his third defeat in four fights through sheer bad decision making, and that’s the kind of performance that leaves him needing to prove he’s worthy of being a ranked fighter in my opinion. Give him surging Frenchman Fares Ziam, 5-2 in the UFC, 3 wins in a row, let’s see if he can turn it up and claim that rankings spot.

Jessica Andrade vs Yan Xiaonan (see above)

Marina Rodriguez vs Loma Lookboonmee – I know Loma has lost a couple of fights against higher level competition, but she’s looked great lately and is a 3-fight win streak. Her striking is serious, and Marina is sure to strike with her, making a potentially fun fight, plus you have to factor in Marina has pretty much fought everyone in the strawweight top 10, and we need a new challenge for her as she loses for the third time in four fights. I wouldn’t be surprised if Loma got a lower level opponent because this is a huge step up, but you know what? She’s 28 now, let’s see where she’s at.

Bobby Green vs Paddy Pimblett – Bobby Green called for it, he said he’d head over to Manchester, and he said he’d kick Paddy’s ass – well, Paddy has been right here on Sherdog demanding a ranked opponent, and I don’t think for a second he’d back down. The timing feels right, the match itself is super fun, Bobby is a great boxer, Paddy is a lethal grappler, there’s a ranking spot on the line, let’s go to war!

Jim Miller vs Tony Ferguson – Ferguson tied the longest losing streak in UFC history, and he certainly won’t want to become the absolute holder of that record – but he’ll have to get through someone like Jim Miller to avoid that ignominy. Ferguson said he wants to ‘fight until the wheels fall off’, well maybe this will be his last, maybe it won’t, but I doubt anyone would complain if these two JBG legends made it a double retirement – or just carried on… either way, fun fight at this stage!

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Petr Yan – Deiveson Figueiredo puts Cody Garbrandt away with an awesome display of grappling, getting the second round submission against a guy in Garbrandt that history does not get tapped. I’d like to see him move straight into contention for the top 5 and see him matching up nicely with Yan. Yan snapped a three-fight losing streak against Song Yadong last time out, and I see this as such a high level fight that the winner is immediately in the frame for a shot at the belt – perhaps this fight isn’t a contender eliminator, but it’s certainly close to it. And it’s mouth-watering!

Cody Garbrandt vs Raoni Barcelos – Many will remember these as ‘the guys that beat Trevin Jones’ – okay, okay, I’m joking, but the reality is we’re looking at two uber-veterans who have struggled for high level wins but are still fun as hell and legitimately high level. If Cody wants to keep fighting and is aiming for those ranking spots, a win over Raoni puts him back in the discussion. If he loses, it could be time to call it a day, as Raoni is one of those guys you kind of have to beat at this stage of his career, without being any kind of push over.
Agreed, lots of great fights that make sense.

Except Alex vs Ankalaev and Rakic vs Krylov. Jiri deserves it more and Rakic vs Hill makes more sense.

Back