Get ready for streaming contracts

this is no different to any other SAAS business model. i'm honestly surprised they don't already do this for 6 or 12 months

Whats the percentage of households that still have cable tv nowadays?It use to be the reason to cut the expensive cable bill is because there is 1000 channels but only 3-4 you actually watch.

I pay yearly anyway

Yea my wife pays for all of the streaming services so I don't really care. I've told her to cancel them. I have my media server up and running and everything is automated. I tell it what shows I want it and goes out and grabs them and it appears on my plex server. She just refuses to do it though.

I think you're onto something here. I'll remember where I first heard of streaming contracts.

Its kind of incredible none of them have tried it yet. Cancellation fees galore.

so next year?

I’m not sure about contracts based on the length of the subscription, but maybe. They will try to dice up their demand curve into two or three separate types of customers to optimize revenue.

And they are definitely going ti end up being just like call tv was. You will subscribe to their service and you’ll get content from distributors x, y, & z, whereas with another service you’ll get content from distributors z, w, & x. But the main thing is there will always be ads.

What they are finding is that subscriptions have a ceiling on their revenue unlike selling ad space. They’ve figured out that the model they had before streaming was actually more profitable, now that they have competitors.

Meh...I'm paying for Netflix and my grlfriend pays for Amazon Prime. And what's not there, we watch illegally.

This will only effect the older generations. The younger gens don't need streaming and can live on youtube. Streaming is mainly for diseffected cable viewers who see the writing on the wall but need something somewhat similar to cable because they lived with it for decades. Many people don't do cable or streaming. Streaming can never be what cable was. It can try but it won't succeed.

anool56fb8s21.jpg

They should get rid of ads and incorporate them into the show itself via product placement. Have the main characters drinking Pepsi all the time and the hot woman characters nude in the shower using Head and Shoulders shampoo and shaving her beaver.

It's already on Prime. You get a prime account but half the content requires upgrades.

I’d get rid of them all but my wife likes Netflix etc.

They should get rid of ads and incorporate them into the show itself via product placement. Have the main characters drinking Pepsi all the time and the hot woman characters nude in the shower using Head and Shoulders shampoo and shaving her beaver.
They actually did this in burn notice's later seasons. The most egregious scene was when there was a car chase and he was driving this new Hyundai instead of his normal car, and he narrated the scene by talking about the strengths of the Hyundai.

Made me laugh but I guess it's still better than watching commercials.

Edit: found the video...

Last edited:
Yea my wife pays for all of the streaming services so I don't really care. I've told her to cancel them. I have my media server up and running and everything is automated. I tell it what shows I want it and goes out and grabs them and it appears on my plex server. She just refuses to do it though.
I have a similar setup, lifetime plex license, and it is sooooo cooool, but wife refuses to use it and I'm fine with it because the kids love it, love having the access on their phones when they feel like looking up old stuff. Wife is on her phone watching trash on FB, so I'm not spending any money and it doesnt matter.

if I were to pay for a service, it would be YT premium, and even then, I mooch off my brother. Since my wife doesnt have her own account, I can log into her YT app, turn it to premium, switch back to her feed and it retains premium. Pretty good deal having two families all hooked on YT premium off of one family plan.

Back