Media Jon Jones ponders fighting Stipe Miocic, Tom Aspinall: "I am not changing my plans for anyone"

I'm not going to say Stipe is in his prime or anything but it is a bit crazy so many people are completely writing him off like he's just some bum who has no chance.

And he will fight Periera, who is a beast but also is much smaller than him with obvious huge grappling disadvantage.

He won't fight anyone he thinks can beat him, but to be fair he already went through that phase and beat everyone.

You don't know that. The guy hasn't fought in 4 years.
He's fought more than Jon in the past 4 years and Jon isn't exactly in his prime anymore either, plus Stipe has been training while Jon has been rehabbing an injury.

On a number between 0 and 100 percent where would you place Stipe's chance to beat Jon?

He's fought more than Jon in the past 4 years and Jon isn't exactly in his prime anymore either, plus Stipe has been training while Jon has been rehabbing an injury.

On a number between 0 and 100 percent where would you place Stipe's chance to beat Jon?
10%. All Stipe has is a punchers chance.

If Stipe has been training the whole time, ready for a fight why didn't he take on Pavlovich as the alternate for the title?
Stipe is here for a check against Jon, a retirement, and nothing more.
You don't come back looking better than you did four years prior from a KO loss in your last championship fight.
I don't want to see this fight at all because I don't want another Nick Diaz moment in the ring where we're forced to watch a guy that doesn't have it any more and doesn't want it take a beating for 2/3s of a fight for one last check.

Tom is the interim champion. That means the title is in dispute, which means that Jon and Stipe are fighting for precisely diddly squat besides Jon being able to be a paper "two division goat".

Jones vs Aspinall or we RIOT

If Stipe has been training the whole time, ready for a fight why didn't he take on Pavlovich as the alternate for the title?
Stipe is here for a check against Jon, a retirement, and nothing more.
You don't come back looking better than you did four years prior from a KO loss in your last championship fight.
I don't want to see this fight at all because I don't want another Nick Diaz moment in the ring where we're forced to watch a guy that doesn't have it any more and doesn't want it take a beating for 2/3s of a fight for one last check.

Tom is the interim champion. That means the title is in dispute, which means that Jon and Stipe are fighting for precisely diddly squat besides Jon being able to be a paper "two division goat".

Jones vs Aspinall or we RIOT
Jon holds the undisputed title and would be a much better win for Stipe's overall legacy. Being the first man to legitimately beat Jon in combat (on record) is quite the accomplishment. I suppose if Stipe thought he was truly the best HW fighter on the planet that wouldn't matter too much but it's still a risky proposition. I'm not going to assume Stipe is just going to show up for a check. You could end up being right though.

On a number between 0 and 100% where would you place Stipe's chance at winning this fight? The other guy said 10%, I say about 25%, what say you? It's wild to me so many people act like Stipe is a bum with no chance.

<seniorvolk>

Jon holds the undisputed title and would be a much better win for Stipe's overall legacy. Being the first man to legitimately beat Jon in combat (on record) is quite the accomplishment. I suppose if Stipe thought he was truly the best HW fighter on the planet that wouldn't matter too much but it's still a risky proposition. I'm not going to assume Stipe is just going to show up for a check. You could end up being right though.

On a number between 0 and 100% where would you place Stipe's chance at winning this fight? The other guy said 10%, I say about 25%, what say you? It's wild to me so many people act like Stipe is a bum with no chance.

<seniorvolk>

50% imo

<seniorvolk>
There is an interim champion, that means the title is in dispute. Or at least, that's how it always has been, up until precisely the moment Jon didn't want to fight Aspinall.
I'd put Stipe at a 20% chance. Slightly more than a puncher's because it's Stipe, but even I'll say I'm giving him more than I should, or would bet on, because I have a soft spot from Stipe being a fellow balkaner. If it was prime Stipe, pre-Ngannou, it's Stipe 60%, which is precisely why Jon literally never talked about this fight until after Stipe was KO'd and functionally retired.

All this is is Jones cherry picking to try to add name value to his legacy. I'm not saying this isn't a smart thing to do with your legacy, I'm not one to blame Jon for doing so, but as a fan of the sport I don't like holding up the division of what we all see is the true championship fight to make for years to make Jon feel good about himself.

He won't fight anyone he thinks can beat him,
This is the essence of the matter.. Jon Jones will never admit to it, but it's true. avoided Ngannou, is avoiding Aspinall and I very much doubt he'd fight Pavlovich if he was offered that fight.

Jones is scared of losing his "unbeaten" record. (Reyes beat him anyway ....but the judges were bought or just got cold feet, and the Santos fight was also a somewhat questionable 'win').

“Fight the man with all the accolades”

Since when did trophies and accolades fight back? Jones just wants a lay up and he’s hyping it as some gigantic task. This is next level ducking tactic. I rather ufc print him the Goat certificate and tell him to go away. We need to move on and have legit fights at HW that means something.

I guess its ok, who am I to judge if Jones wants to fight the slower and more aged guy who fights mma part time

Best of duck to him

Training? Stipe has been retired. Jon is the one who was training for heavyweight for 3 years.

Back