Pre-fight Discussion UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington Sat. Dec. 16 Early prelims 6:30pm ET ESPN+, Main card PPV 10pm ET

Planning to watch

• All of it

• Most of it

• Some of it

Results are only viewable after voting.

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The UFC is back this weekend with a numbered, stacked exciting card. UFC 295 featuring Leon Edwards versus Colby Covington. If you've been reading or posting here you may have heard of them. The entire card is lit with legendary names and up and comers vying for future legendary status or a fight of the night bonus. Outstanding matchups from beginning to end. Fireworks.

Super thanks to all the posters who keep providing assistance to others here by explaining new features or workarounds or how to do stuff here on this newer version of the dawg. You are the real MVPs. Everyone has different skills to bring to the table. All who help another sherbro out overwhelm me with joy. I'm grateful that we're holding together as a community. Ask not what sherdog can do for you. Ask what you can do for sherdog. It is so appreciated. For example our friend @Kryptt often shares newer ways of doing things here by patiently explaining it so that others understand. That's just one of many. @BEATDOWNS may assist by making a post of the card order typed up in any way that he prefers.

Thanks to all tech, staff, mods and everyone who sincerely continues improving this amazing site. You know who you are! I keep noticing features and other things that are genuine improvements. While making this post I noticed more improvements that streamline the process of posting a new thread. Thank yourselves and others. Woo hoo!

Don't forget to check out the dawg's front page for articles, breakdowns, news, information on upcoming fights and a whole slew of stuff. Always check out other sections here for more mma discussion. My favorite is Worldwide MMA. For non-mma interests we also have lots of discussion. My favorite is the Jukebox section because for me MMA and music are universal languages. They open you up to other cultures and traditions all around the world.

Enjoy the fights. Enjoy the pre-fight discussion. Please be civil. Keep it real. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Seasons beatings. Etc. etc. etc.

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington​

December 16, 2023​

T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV
Main Card
PPV 10:00 PM
BUY PPV
Prelims
ESPN2/ESPN+ 8:00 PM
Early Prelims
ESPN+ 6:30 PM

F9epzo2WoAEqHi7.jpg

The full card:

Randy Brown (17-5) vs. Muslim Salikhov (19-4)
Martin Buday (13-1) vs. Shamil Gaziev (11-0)
Andre Fili (22-10, 1 NC) vs. Lucas Almeida (14-2)
Tagir Ulanbekov (14-2) vs. Cody Durden (16-4-1)
Alonzo Menifield (14-3-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (19-7-1)
Casey O’Neill (9-1) vs. Ariane Lipski (16-8)
Cody Garbrandt (13-5) vs. Brian Kelleher (24-14)
Irene Aldana (14-7) vs. Karol Rosa (17-5)
Josh Emmett (18-4) vs. Bryce Mitchell (16-1)
Vicente Luque (22-9-1) vs. Ian Garry (13-0)
Tony Ferguson (25-9) vs. Paddy Pimblett (20-3)
Shavkat Rakhmonov (17-0) vs. Stephen Thompson (17-6-1)
Alexandre Pantoja (26-5) vs. Brandon Royval (15-6)
Leon Edwards (21-3, 1 NC) vs. Colby Covington (17-3)

Shillan & Duffy: UFC 296 Preview​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

BEN DUFFY KEITH SHILLAN DEC 11, 20232 COMMENTS
Keith and Ben preview the final UFC event of 2023, a card loaded with several of the best fighters in the world—and a half dozen of the most distinctive personalities in the sport.

0:00 Intro: Wouldn't miss this one for the world...
7:29 Randy Brown (17-5) vs. Muslim Salikhov (19-4)
17:59 Martin Buday (13-1) vs. Shamil Gaziev (11-0)
28:32 Andre Fili (22-10, 1 NC) vs. Lucas Almeida (14-2)
38:14 Tagir Ulanbekov (14-2) vs. Cody Durden (16-4-1)
49:06 Alonzo Menifield (14-3-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (19-7-1)
56:46 Casey O’Neill (9-1) vs. Ariane Lipski (16-8)
1:05:12 Cody Garbrandt (13-5) vs. Brian Kelleher (24-14)
1:18:08 Irene Aldana (14-7) vs. Karol Rosa (17-5)
1:28:41 Josh Emmett (18-4) vs. Bryce Mitchell (16-1)
1:41:36 Vicente Luque (22-9-1) vs. Ian Garry (13-0)
1:56:07 Tony Ferguson (25-9) vs. Paddy Pimblett (20-3)
2:16:18 Shavkat Rakhmonov (17-0) vs. Stephen Thompson (17-6-1)
2:26:32 Alexandre Pantoja (26-5) vs. Brandon Royval (15-6)
2:40:29 Leon Edwards (21-3, 1 NC) vs. Colby Covington (17-3)
2:55:34 A quick rundown of all the picks

Word to the Shillan & Duffy previews. They are so good to check on throughout pre-fight week. In depth analysis in a relaxed manner. Be sure to join them about a half hour after the main event where they review all the fights starting with the main event and interact with the growing community of super chill mma fans. It's the best in the biz imho.

Edit: Note the start times. Consult local listings the day of the fights. As of this writing some fighters have dropped out and one event was rescheduled. Thank you and enjoy the fights!

Last edited:
Hopefully catch it all but quite likely I'll miss the early prelims.

I'm hoping I get most of these predictions wrong, many fighters on this card I want to win and expect to lose.
101868-3823365.png

The UFC is back this weekend with a numbered, stacked exciting card. UFC 295 featuring Leon Edwards versus Colby Covington. If you've been reading or posting here you may have heard of them. The entire card is lit with legendary names and up and comers who vying for future legendary status or a fight of the night bonus. Outstanding matchups from beginning to end. Fireworks.

Super thanks to all the posters who keep providing assistance to others here by explaining new features or workarounds or how to do stuff here on this newer version of the dawg. You are the real MVPs. Everyone has different skills to bring to the table. All who help another sherbro out overwhelm me with joy. I'm grateful that we're holding together as a community. Ask not what sherdog can do for you. Ask what you can do for sherdog. It is so appreciated. For example our friend @Kryptt often shares newer ways of doing things here by patiently explaining it so that others understand. That's just one of many. @BEATDOWNS may assist by making a post of the card order typed up in any way that he prefers.

Thanks to all tech, staff, mods and everyone who sincerely keep improving this amazing site. You know who you are! I keep noticing features and other things that are genuine improvements. Thank yourselves and others. Woo hoo!

Enjoy the fights. Enjoy the pre-fight discussion. Please be civil. Keep it real. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Seasons beatings. Etc. etc. etc.

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington​

December 16, 2023​

T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV
Main Card
PPV8:00 PM
BUY PPV
Prelims
ESPN2/ESPN+6:00 PM
Early Prelims
ESPN+4:00 PM

The full card:

Randy Brown (17-5) vs. Muslim Salikhov (19-4)
Martin Buday (13-1) vs. Shamil Gaziev (11-0)
Andre Fili (22-10, 1 NC) vs. Lucas Almeida (14-2)
Tagir Ulanbekov (14-2) vs. Cody Durden (16-4-1)
Alonzo Menifield (14-3-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (19-7-1)
Casey O’Neill (9-1) vs. Ariane Lipski (16-8)
Cody Garbrandt (13-5) vs. Brian Kelleher (24-14)
Irene Aldana (14-7) vs. Karol Rosa (17-5)
Josh Emmett (18-4) vs. Bryce Mitchell (16-1)
Vicente Luque (22-9-1) vs. Ian Garry (13-0)
Tony Ferguson (25-9) vs. Paddy Pimblett (20-3)
Shavkat Rakhmonov (17-0) vs. Stephen Thompson (17-6-1)
Alexandre Pantoja (26-5) vs. Brandon Royval (15-6)
Leon Edwards (21-3, 1 NC) vs. Colby Covington (17-3)

Shillan & Duffy: UFC 296 Preview​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

BEN DUFFY KEITH SHILLAN DEC 11, 20232 COMMENTS
Keith and Ben preview the final UFC event of 2023, a card loaded with several of the best fighters in the world—and a half dozen of the most distinctive personalities in the sport.

0:00 Intro: Wouldn't miss this one for the world...
7:29 Randy Brown (17-5) vs. Muslim Salikhov (19-4)
17:59 Martin Buday (13-1) vs. Shamil Gaziev (11-0)
28:32 Andre Fili (22-10, 1 NC) vs. Lucas Almeida (14-2)
38:14 Tagir Ulanbekov (14-2) vs. Cody Durden (16-4-1)
49:06 Alonzo Menifield (14-3-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (19-7-1)
56:46 Casey O’Neill (9-1) vs. Ariane Lipski (16-8)
1:05:12 Cody Garbrandt (13-5) vs. Brian Kelleher (24-14)
1:18:08 Irene Aldana (14-7) vs. Karol Rosa (17-5)
1:28:41 Josh Emmett (18-4) vs. Bryce Mitchell (16-1)
1:41:36 Vicente Luque (22-9-1) vs. Ian Garry (13-0)
1:56:07 Tony Ferguson (25-9) vs. Paddy Pimblett (20-3)
2:16:18 Shavkat Rakhmonov (17-0) vs. Stephen Thompson (17-6-1)
2:26:32 Alexandre Pantoja (26-5) vs. Brandon Royval (15-6)
2:40:29 Leon Edwards (21-3, 1 NC) vs. Colby Covington (17-3)
2:55:34 A quick rundown of all the picks

Note: This post is under construction. Getting it up here fast. May add poster etc. soon.

glaring-upside-down.gif
Reading the card be like...

Gaming weekend fer me but as usual will be peepin on the laptop! All of it!

Looking to be a really fun card.

<DCWhoa>
Awesome. Do you ever go back and check out fights you may have missed because you were too busy gaming? I sometimes do that type of thing in terms of watching them later and definitely love seeing highlights. When I first got fight pass around the time of my join date I watched every episode of every season of the ultimate fighter.

Awesome. Do you ever go back and check out fights you may have missed because you were too busy gaming?

With the UFC cards frequently. ACA sometimes as well but otherwise generally only on a "must see" recommendation or a X/Tweet or gif I catch somewhere. Last week I think I ran through 5 cards and still never got back to catching Brave though I did run through their X finishes #BRAVECF78 an BRAVECF79.

Just for the heck of it here's who i'm rooting for:

Randy Brown (17-5) vs. Muslim Salikhov (19-4) Brown. Cleveland Browns are from the midwest. I like the midwest.
Martin Buday (13-1) vs. Shamil Gaziev (11-0) Buday. Sounds like he's my buddy in the way Bisping pronounces it.
Andre Fili (22-10, 1 NC) vs. Lucas Almeida (14-2) Almeida. Avoiding touchy fili things.
Tagir Ulanbekov (14-2) vs. Cody Durden (16-4-1) Cody Durden. Reminds me of the fight club.
Alonzo Menifield (14-3-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (19-7-1) No preference. Just bleed.
Casey O’Neill (9-1) vs. Ariane Lipski (16-8) Lipski. Love when the queen of violence brings it.
Cody Garbrandt (13-5) vs. Brian Kelleher (24-14) Cody for old times sake.
Irene Aldana (14-7) vs. Karol Rosa (17-5) Irene. Wanna see her bounce back after an unusal sub-par performance in a title fight.
Josh Emmett (18-4) vs. Bryce Mitchell (16-1) Mitchell. Grown to appreciate his fighting style and spirit.
Vicente Luque (22-9-1) vs. Ian Garry (13-0) Luque. Perhaps it's time for a veteran reality check for the undefeated fighter.
Tony Ferguson (25-9) vs. Paddy Pimblett (20-3) Paddy. Tony's no doubt a legend. I don't want to see him further hurt. A loss could move him closer to retirement.
Shavkat Rakhmonov (17-0) vs. Stephen Thompson (17-6-1) Thompson. Wonderboy. Tenacious D.
Alexandre Pantoja (26-5) vs. Brandon Royval (15-6) No preference. Hoping for a great fight.
Leon Edwards (21-3, 1 NC) vs. Colby Covington (17-3) Leon. I've been a fan for a while. His title win and post-fight speech is among my all-time favorite mma moments.

Last edited:
Final UFC Pre-fight Discussion of 2023. Thank you @PurpleStorm for putting up these threads all year, as well as the TUF 31 PBPs. You do great work here bud and your positive presence is felt. Wonderful job this year, Purp. Thanks as well to @Jackonfire (amazing Christmas AV btw!) for all the hardwork and as always, you consistently deliver. Not forgetting about our main man @Kryptt for helping around with the other non pbp threads and sticking with us. You guys are the pillars of the Heavies PBP community. Much appreciation to you guys.

And also, shoutouts to everyone who's posted and participated in these threads all year. Thanks for all the good fun. Hope you enjoyed hanging out. Have a happy holidays everyone.

Final UFC Pre-fight Discussion of 2023. Thank you @PurpleStorm for putting up these threads all year, as well as the TUF 31 PBPs. You do great work here bud and your positive presence is felt. Wonderful job this year, Purp. Thanks as well to @Jackonfire (amazing Christmas AV btw!) for all the hardwork and as always, you consistently deliver. Not forgetting about our main man @Kryptt for helping around with the other non pbp threads and sticking with us. You guys are the pillars of the Heavies PBP community. Much appreciation to you guys.

And also, shoutouts to everyone who's posted and participated in these threads all year. Thanks for all the good fun. Hope you enjoyed hanging out. Have a happy holidays everyone.

Grateful you're here too. Doing a lot behind the scenes. And all the posters who make this place unique. Happy holidays gio!

Preview: UFC 296 Prelims​

Emmett vs. Mitchell​

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail

TOM FEELY DEC 13, 2023 1 COMMENT

The Ultimate Fighting Championship loaded up its last card of 2023, as the UFC 296prelims on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas are better than some entire events the promotion has staged this year. The featured slot could easily be a UFC Fight Night main event, as Josh Emmett takes on Bryce Mitchell in a battle of ranked featherweights with an interesting dynamic. Directly underneath are two bouts involving former title contenders: Irene Aldana looks to rebound against Karol Rosaat 135 pounds, and onetime bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt looks to get his career back on track against Brian Kelleher. Add in some top prospects and some pairings that just look like guaranteed fun—Alonzo Menifield and Dustin Jacoby should have a banger at light heavyweight, while Andre Fili could engage Lucas Almeida in an absolute scrap at 145 pounds—and this represents a strong appetizer for an even better main course.

Now to the preview for the UFC 296 “Edwards vs. Covington” prelims:

How do you guys see Bryce vs Josh going? I’m not a fan of either. Bryce had a few good wins but I just don’t think he’s very intelligent. Emmett isn’t elite but seems to have the durability to grind.

Any solid path Bryce has to victory??

How do you guys see Bryce vs Josh going? I’m not a fan of either. Bryce had a few good wins but I just don’t think he’s very intelligent. Emmett isn’t elite but seems to have the durability to grind.

Any solid path Bryce has to victory??
I think Harper's path would be in making it a brawling and wrestling battle and winning by decision. Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Back