Quentin Tarantino : A director that never matured

If anyone wants to know what QT would have done with True Romance:

Really it seems with the time jumps the main difference in the film would be that it becomes bit more of a mystery thriller were as Scott's version arguably commits more to the romance side of things?

I think that does end up creating a very unique film, you have a film which is on one level this slick 80's style romantic thriller and you have it merged with characters who are a bit more down to earth. It does more than lift the theme music from Mallick's Badlands I'd say but ultimately it flips the story, Clarence isnt a charming psycho like Kit but rather a fantasist, someone trying to live out the kind of life he's seen onscreen dispite not being that cool or that skilled.

If you look back as well I'd say I don't think Tarantino totally came out of nowhere, I think it was partly that he arrived at the right time to really make an impact. Something like Rumble Fish for example I think that has quite a lot in common but just didnt take off in 1983 the same way True Romance did in 1993.

If you look back as well I'd say I don't think Tarantino totally came out of nowhere, I think it was partly that he arrived at the right time to really make an impact. Something like Rumble Fish for example I think that has quite a lot in common but just didnt take off in 1983 the same way True Romance did in 1993.

Yeah, Tarantino was one of those decade long over night sucess stories, he had been on the periphery of the business for a few years trying to act and attempting to make his would-be first film My Best Friend's Birthday and networking as best he could.

It wasn't until Scott Spiegel introduced him to Lawrence Bender that Tarantino found a producer with some clout that would actually talk to him. It was Bender who convinced him to try to raise a more significant budget to make Reservoir Dogs instead of using the $50k he made from selling True Romance. It was those two scripts before even being made that really put him on the map in the industry.

Tarantino had been on the periphery of the business for a few years, trying to make his would-be first film My Best Friend's Birthday and trying to network as best he could.

It wasn't until Scott Spiegel introduced him to Lawrence Bender that Tarantino found a producer with some clout that would actually talk to him. It was Bender who convinced him to try to raise a more significant budget to make Reservoir Dogs instead of using the $50k he made from selling True Romance. It was those two scripts before even being made that really put him on the map in the industry.

You did I think have that fairly brief window in the early 90's were Hollywood was looking around more for the next big thing, besides Tarantino you had all those hip hop crime films as well. It was a pretty brief window though IMHO as Hollywood then settled on big CGI Emmerichian blockbuster and shmaltzy drama as its main focus by the mid 90's.

I think the whole point was that he wasnt imposing,and they didnt need to gimmick him to be super tiny. He still had to be able to beat people up with a bat convincingly. It was just funny how he was a high pitched spazz. In any case,he didnt even have many lines in the movie any way.

I like how he was built up and then didnt turn out like ppl expected. Made him more relatable in a way.

<WhatItIs>

I just think there are a lot of actors of similar proportions who could have done that with better acting choices. I thought the way he celebrated as his own hype man after the beatdown was kind of juvenile but also monotonous in its delivery. I think a more seasoned actor might have made the Bear Jew workmanlike, doing his job, and leave the audience to take the satisfaction in one less Nazi as opposed to pre-emptively celebrating it for them.

I think Quentin's friendship got in the way of this casting but I'm glad you liked his performance more than I did. I didn't think it ruined the movie or anything.

His casting choices are great with a few exceptions.

Jamie Foxx in Django and Channing Tatum in hateful 8.

Personally I just don't think Foxx is a good actor. I know many of you will disagree.

Channing Tatum though is a stronger case. His entire gang is made up of lifetime killers pushing 50, including his sister. So it makes no sense that this 25-year old would be the leader of that gang. And it makes even less sense that he would be Daisy's brother when he looks more like her son.

Then you add in the fact that all the other characters are played by fantastic actors. True heavyweights in the industry, and Channing just doesn't fit. He's not horrible, just out of place.

I still love QT's casting choices, I'm just saying nobody's perfect.
Can not argue Tatum at all. He seems to be cast to capture some female and younger audience. Jaimie is hit or miss, but he was good in Django to me.

I think there is more to QT than just right place, right time, or we would have seen a lot more from Roger Avary before his death in 2008.

They were definitely writing in the same sort of space/with a similar vibe.

One thing I LOVE about QT is his casting choices to go with the amazing characters he creates.. He always nails it. I do not know another director who matches these characters to the perfect actor so many times.
R.3f83fb1a1fcdfdc0074f626b9e241cbd
I can't believe he turned down DANIEL DAY LEWIS for Pulp Fiction. John Travolta was great and I'm happy he was chosen, but still.... Daniel freaking Day Lewis.

His casting choices are great with a few exceptions.

Jamie Foxx in Django and Channing Tatum in hateful 8.
I loved Jamie Foxx in Django and thought he was great. Part of me wonders what it would have been like with Will Smith, but I thought Jamie did such a good job that it's a non-issue for me.

Btw, why did Will turn it down?

As for Channing... yeah, he seemed a little out of place. He did fine in the role, but still seemed like a left field choice. But ultimately I don't really have an issue with it.

He also overcasts himself in movies. I thought Eli Roth was a bad choice for the Bear Jew.
It was supposed to be Adam Sandler but for some reason that didn't work out so he went with Eli. I would have LOVED to see Sandler in that part.

I think there is more to QT than just right place, right time, or we would have seen a lot more from Roger Avary before his death in 2008.

They were definitely writing in the same sort of space/with a similar vibe.

Roger has a helluva podcast as far as ghosts go.

Roger has a helluva podcast as far as ghosts go.
Damn. I was thinking of someone else, lol.

Avary is the person I was referring to, though he is not dead.

Edit: I was thinking of Avary, but somehow remembered the 2008 car crash as killing him, instead of him killing someone else.

Damn. I was thinking of someone else, lol.

Avary is the person I was referring to, though he is not dead.

He did get into a car accident that took the life on his passenger...you may be thinking of that.

His podcast with Tarantino is lots of fun it you haven't checked it out.

He did get into a car accident that took the life on his passenger...you may be thinking of that.

His podcast with Tarantino is lots of fun it you haven't checked it out.

It was the car wreck. I was typing my edit as you responded.

Eli Roth was great as the bear jew. I liked that it turned out he was some high pitched nerd. Made it funnier. They already had Stiglitz to be the heavy.
the high pitcher part seemed more facial to me like he was some Jewish kid from Brooklyn who grew up lower middle class and loved baseball and got radicalized but the war and the atrocities that the Nazi were committing

that high pitcher or nasal voice is a staple imo

I think something more along these lines would have been a better Bear Jew.

The Bear Jew was built up so much. it made it better than he wasnt what ppl were expecting. Deal with it.

<Prem771>

The Bear Jew was built up so much. it made it better than he wasnt what ppl were expecting. Deal with it.

<Prem771>

I would have been fine with him being less than he was built up to be. I think Sandler has the comedy and charisma to probably sell that self celebratory rant after the beatdown if that's what had to be in the script. Eli can't act man. You have a role you were about to give to a top flight dramatic actor and top flight comedian...and then give it to a guy who isn't a dramatic actor or a comedian at all. Shrug...

I wonder who he's going to cast as The Movie Critic? Adam Driver?

I wonder who he's going to cast as The Movie Critic? Adam Driver?

Maybe, he has said he liked Drive for a potential Rambo movie...Chris Pine is his favorite young actor.

All he has said publicly so far about the lead is that he is looking for an American actor around 35 years old who has ever been a lead in his films before .

EDIT: And the latest news in general is that the film will begin shooting in September.

Last edited:

I talk with my gay friends about this movie and I get a whole gambit of that is public stereotype to yeah there are gay bars like that.

This should have been prime meme material but I think it never became that because nearly no one has seen the movie.

Back