Times you had to be the bearer of bad news

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
When I was in undergrad I was friends with this girl. She was perhaps a little bit overweight, but looked perfectly healthy. Of course, notwithstanding the fact that there was nothing wrong with her body, she was deeply self conscious about her weight and constantly obsessed with various dieting fads.

One day we were eating lunch with a larger group, and she was munching on some caramel popcorn. She kept mentioning how the popcorn was so good, and that it only had 150 calories.

As she was nearly finishing the bag of popcorn she offered me some, and stressed their low calorie nature. I read the label and informed her, "Uhh... this bag contains 9 servings."

She went white as a ghost, and I can only imagine spent the night purging.

Have you ever had to politely inform someone of bad news?

Yeah I've done it several times. I told my old boss she had a booger. I told lots of people they have something in their teeth or their zipper is down.

I never tell anyone things that they already know though. I hate it when people tell others, "you've gained weight" or "you know You've got a big zit right there"

It's like no shit, genius, everyone has a mirror at home. They know they've got a zit or have put on a few pounds. No need to make them feel even worse about it.

A podiatrist is a real doctor. But no I’m an internist.

e3acb254-c292-48d5-906a-947b17a00b1e_text.gif

When i was young, my Judo coach asked me how my grandpa was doing, since he didn't look so healthy when he had last seen him. My grandpa was 6 months dead at this point.

I remember being the one to have to tell my aunt that her brother (my dad) was dead. It. Did. Not. Go. Well.

I was the one to tell my uncle when my dad died. My dad was his favorite brother. Him and I had hung out when he'd come over or my dad and I would visit him before but I'd never called him. He figured out why I was calling immediately and was so distraught he could barely speak. Short phone call.

Had to tell my ex her rabbit died, and not in a peaceful manner. Went decently, all things considered. No other real experience other than that and firing someone.

Last edited:
Had to tell my ex her rabbit died, and not in a peaceful manner. Went decently, all things considered. No other real experience other than that and firing someone.
Oh yeah, I forgot about firing people. I've done that lots of times. They always deserved it though.

I had to call my sister and let her know that dad was going into palliative care/on his death bed

Oh yeah, I forgot about firing people. I've done that lots of times. They always deserved it though.
That is good. You are lucky then. Firing someone because of budget cuts always sucks. Hearing people start telling their story while knowing it is too late, and set in stone, takes the wind right out of my sails.

That is good. You are lucky then. Firing someone because of budget cuts always sucks. Hearing people start telling their story while knowing it is too late, and set in stone, takes the wind right out of my sails.
Yeah there was an executive I worked with years ago that flew out from HQ to tell everyone in this one location that it was being shut down and everyone was being laid off.

Someone told him he should've just let the local managers handle it instead. And he said, "I need to face these people and tell them it was my decision. It keeps me from taking these decisions lightly."

I respected the hell out of that guy. People were straight up crying and calling him names and shit.

Yeah there was an executive I worked with years ago that flew out from HQ to tell everyone in this one location that it was being shut down and everyone was being laid off.

Someone told him he should've just let the local managers handle it instead. And he said, "I need to face these people and tell them it was my decision. It keeps me from taking these decisions lightly."

I respected the hell out of that guy. People were straight up crying and calling him names and shit.

Plus he gets a nice chunky per diem and a bit of that sweet nasty concierge action, if you catch my drift...

Would have to agree. It takes a lot to do it in person, knowing full well people will flip. If you are not an emotionless asshat, of course.

Responsibility sometimes sucks a big one.

Back