Top 100 Best Selling Music Artists of All Time

What would you call garbage? Not trying to argue, just asking. Some of his fans absolutely hated how he went to rap and hip hop but that was also what helped him have a huge bump in sales with Diamonds and Pearls. In my opinion, he didn't put out bad albums. Springsteen didn't put out bad albums, (maybe one or two actually) and MJ didn't put out bad albums. What happens is that people just get enough of something, like any commodity and they move on and they blame the artist for that. Happened with all the people before these guys too. Elvis never did anything listenable after the army, except, if you really listen, he did.
His rapping was cringe. I am a big fan and just didn't like when he purposely churned out 4-5 albums to fulfill his WB deal and then released Emancipation which was actually good again. In between Diamonds and Pearls and Emancipation there were 5-6 garbage albums with 12 second songs, weird effects etc...

Country is very regional, and lists, are usually kinda fucked one way or the other. And.., like all statistics, they are usually faked to some degree.

I think Garth has sold the 2nd most albums behind only the Beatles but that's probably actual physical album sales. Kinda hard to believe but he was huge back in the early to mid 90s.

His rapping was cringe. I am a big fan and just didn't like when he purposely churned out 4-5 albums to fulfill his WB deal and then released Emancipation which was actually good again. In between Diamonds and Pearls and Emancipation there were 5-6 garbage albums with 12 second songs, weird effects etc...
No one bought Prince as a rapper or hip hop as an element in his music, at least not for more than the short term. It actually worked somewhat on Diamonds and Pearls and it really ruined for many fans his brilliant followup album, called the symbol album. It had some great songs but then he had to throw hip hop in it. Bruce and MJ both started involving hip hop in their music and they didn't really face criticism, for some reason, Prince, maybe because he was so overt with the shit, killed his own momentum. I even like Chaos and Disorder which got shat on by everyone, of course "Dinner With Delores" was garbage as a lead single and obviously a fu to WB but the album was surprisingly good. The thing is with Prince, he crossed so many genres, even without hip hop, that what one fan would love, the other would hate. Some will say Come was a great album and that Emancipation was garbage. Emancipation did have a lot of crappy digital stuff on it as it was the first album he created after he cleaned house in his business, firing just about everyone from his band to all the staff at Paisley Park. I love it all, I say his prime was 1978-2016 and Ill tell you what I think his weakest albums were and they would shock you, his first album and Dirty Mind, which really kickstarted his entire career, garbage album with only one great song, when you were mine.

I think Garth has sold the 2nd most albums behind only the Beatles but that's probably actual physical album sales. Kinda hard to believe but he was huge back in the early to mid 90s.
he was huge but only regionally or with certain demographics, us city folks didn't generally give a shit about him. I think the old guard country artists like Cash and co. hated him and all the new pretty boy country singers. I could see their point, it was too slick to be real country. I still remember an older black musician telling me and my buddy that Garth was actually pretty good, we didn't get it.

he was huge but only regionally or with certain demographics, us city folks didn't generally give a shit about him. I think the old guard country artists like Cash and co. hated him and all the new pretty boy country singers. I could see their point, it was too slick to be real country. I still remember an older black musician telling me and my buddy that Garth was actually pretty good, we didn't get it.

Yeah it's funny how much country has changed because his music compared to what's out now seems as authentically country as it gets. At the time it was this new city folk country bullshit in comparison to the norm.

I went with my wife to go see him last month in Vegas. Had nose bleed seats and this older guy came up and just started making random conversation with me in the hall. After a couple minutes he told me he was with Garth's crew and handed me front row tickets. Apparently the front row at his shows is reserved for random fans in the nosebleeds that they give free tickets to.

I'll give the man some respect, whether you like his music or not, he puts on a hell of a show. Not a second of the show was half assed in any manner. He sang everything exactly the way he sang it on the album. He played all the classics that people to go see him for. He didn't screw around with the singing melodies because he was bored of singing them for the last 30 years like a lot of artists do. I've seen Metallica and a lot of other big groups and while I like that type of music more, there's just no comparison in the overall professionalism. Those bands are great but it's like this dude has perfected his craft down to every detail.

Alright I'll stop boring you with shit you don't care about.

Even Black people loved Another One Bites the Dust, that's about where most of America's attention started and ended I think. I didn't even know the name was an homage to gayness for some years, never really cared enough to know, but I'm sure others picked up on it and America was hostile to gays in the earlier decades, the further back you go, the more hostile.
Yep, I think Queens fame in the States when "I Want To Break Free" was released.

Yeah it's funny how much country has changed because his music compared to what's out now seems as authentically country as it gets. At the time it was this new city folk country bullshit in comparison to the norm.

I went with my wife to go see him last month in Vegas. Had nose bleed seats and this older guy came up and just started making random conversation with me in the hall. After a couple minutes he told me he was with Garth's crew and handed me front row tickets. Apparently the front row at his shows is reserved for random fans in the nosebleeds that they give free tickets to.

I'll give the man some respect, whether you like his music or not, he puts on a hell of a show. Not a second of the show was half assed in any manner. He sang everything exactly the way he sang it on the album. He played all the classics that people to go see him for. He didn't screw around with the singing melodies because he was bored of singing them for the last 30 years like a lot of artists do. I've seen Metallica and a lot of other big groups and while I like that type of music more, there's just no comparison in the overall professionalism. Those bands are great but it's like this dude has perfected his craft down to every detail.

Alright I'll stop boring you with shit you don't care about.
not boring at all, that's great. Damn nice of the man and I can respect that sort of dedication. There are different ways artists manage the boredom of performing the same songs, Prince used to stretch things out and change them MJ wanted "what's on the record". Regimentation is great, improv is great, what the fans want most? who knows, be a case by case thing. There's definitely songs by Prince that I'd love to hear as he did them on record (Little Red Corvette) and he never, ever did. Mj could have learned a thing or two from Prince and many other artists by not having everything planned out to the nth degree because the other side of the strict structure is, if they want to hear what's on the album they could have stayed at home.

Back