Your Top 5 Modern Games You'd Recommend -2024

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been kicking around doing this for a while but just been debating with myself how to do it

There's been numerous 'Recommend Games You Like' threads and I've been curious if there's a way we could guage how highly a game is recommended in 'The Arcade.'

What I'm hoping what could be done is 30 regular visitors of The Arcade could give their Top 5 games that have been released, remasteted, or optimized in the last 5 years. And one bonus recommendation for the game that is very under-appreciated and/or very few gamers have played.

#1 Recommendation = 5 points.
#2 Recommendation = 4 points.
#3 Recommendation = 3 points.
#4 Recommendation = 2 points.
#5 Recommendation = 1 point.
Bonus Recommendation = ??? Points.

For right now the recommendations should be based on Single-Player Games, and all the drama that Helldivers 2 has gone through this week is a great reason why online games will probably get their own list later if this thread goes well.

Today is Friday, May 10th, and I'm hoping tp receive 30 Top 5 lists by Saturday May 18th, so I can count up all the points and we can have a solid Top 10 list.

Also, you can edit your list at anytime.

Sample List -

#1 = Witcher 3 - Optimized in Dec '22.
#2 = Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered - Released in May '21.
#3 = Cyberpunk 2077 - Released December 2020, and continually updated & optimized since then.
#4 = Dead Space (Remake) - Released Jan '23.
#5 = Baldur's Gate 3 - Released July '23 and continually updated.
Bonus = Wreckfest - Optimized on Jan '21.

Also, if you'd like to add a comment to any recommendation, I'll add it with your name if it makes the Top #10 list - For example :

GearSolidMetal - Dead Space is the best horror game ever made, and set the new standard for how Remakes are to be made. Resident Evil doesn't look so Evil after playing this.

Last edited:
It's your list, but it seems strange considering remasters as modern games. Mass Effect and Dead Space are old enough to be in college now. Would be like being in 2007 and considering a graphical remake of Super Mario World a current game.

It's your list, but it seems strange considering remasters as modern games. Mass Effect and Dead Space are old enough to be in college now. Would be like being in 2007 and considering a graphical remake of Super Mario World a current game.

To be clear, Mass Effect games are remasters and Dead Space is a remake. They're 'modern' because they've been optimized for modern hardware.

The Mass Effect games can be played at 4K/120FPS, and look significantly improved over their original releases.

And Dead Space remake looks 100% gorgeous.

And I have no expectations for either to be on the final Top 10 list, but I don't want to ommit possibly popular choices.

Edit - Would like to add if/when Rockstar releases an update for Red Dead Redemption 2 to run at 4K/60FPS on modern consoles, it absolutely would be considered 'modern.'

Last edited:
To be clear, Mass Effect games are remasters and Dead Space is a remake. They're 'modern' because they've been optimized for modern hardware.

The Mass Effect games can be played at 4K/120FPS, and look significantly improved over their original releases.

And Dead Space remake looks 100% gorgeous.

And I have no expectations for either to be on the final Top 10 list, but I don't want to ommit possibly popular choices.

Edit - Would like to add if/when Rockstar releases an update for Red Dead Redemption 2 to run at 4K/60FPS on modern consoles, it absolutely would be considered 'modern.'

Yeah, I know, but their game design are not modern. They play like old games as effectively they are.

Yeah, I know, but their game design are not modern. They play like old games as effectively they are.

Okay, by 'Modern' it is referring to 'Graphically Modern.' It's be too picky if I disqualified people's picks by something so subjective as game design.

Starfield's engine and systems is the same as Bethesda's Oblivion releases in 2005. Could an argument be made its not 'modern?'

And Baldur's Gate 3 gameplay is mostly copied & pasted from D&D 5th edition. Should the game that won the most GOTY awards not be considered 'Modern?'

So, to keep it simple and not gatekeeping, because getting 30 regular members Top5 suggestions is going to be a pain, I'm just keeping the options open. And if someone picks older games that have been remastered and are still far better than nearly all recent releases, that should speak volumes for that title's quality.

1. Hades : GOEY (Game of Every Year)
2. Baldurs: Gate 3 (Nothing much else to say)
3. Frostpunk: (So much quality DLC and free shit)
4. Returnal : (Keep coming back to it. One of hardest and most rewarding games Ive ever played)
5. Jedi Survivor(Nothing short of superb Star Wars)

Bob Grays Criminally Underplayed Game: Marvel Midnight Suns

Feels like everything will battle for places 2-5 after BG3, but maybe not.

Last edited:
I've been kicking around doing this for a while but just been debating with myself how to do it

There's been numerous 'Recommend Games You Like' threads and I've been curious if there's a way we could guage how highly a game is recommended in 'The Arcade.'

What I'm hoping what could be done is 30 regular visitors of The Arcade could give their Top 5 games that have been released, remasteted, or optimized in the last 5 years. And one bonus recommendation for the game that is very under-appreciated and/or very few gamers have played.

For right now the recommendations should be based on Single-Player Games, and all the drama that Helldivers 2 has gone through this week is a great reason why online games will probably get their own list later if this thread goes well.

Today is Friday, May 10th, and I'm hoping tp receive 30 Top 5 lists by Saturday May 18th, so I can count up all the points and we can have a solid Top 10 list.

Sample List -

#3 = Cyberpunk 2077 - Released December 2020, and continually updated & optimized since then.

Also, if you'd like to add a comment to any recommendation, I'll add it with your name if it makes the Top #10 list - For example :

GearSolidMetal - Dead Space is the best horror game ever made, and set the new standard for how Remakes are to be made. Resident Evil doesn't look so Evil after playing this.
I happened to go through a period of no real gaming when Mass effects came out. I think I own them all.
I might finally have to play them, finish the Witcher(never made it past Skellige sort of area) and same with Cyber punk(last thing I remember is High rises and a big flying dragon)
I am trying to like Outward at the moment, but my god it punishes me way too hard.

Mass Effect 3's gameplay doesn't feel qualitatively any different than any other shooters I play today. It isn't stale, archaic, or aged in any discernible sense. The only thing missing that is becoming more common are deeper grappling mechanics, but even those aren't omnipresent in today's shooters.

I happened to go through a period of no real gaming when Mass effects came out. I think I own them all.

The Legendary Edition of the games may still be worth picking up, on sale, because it includes all the DLC for all three games with the exception of some horde mode from ME1.

ME1 was reworked from the ground-up to be on the same quality as ME2 & ME3.

And I still consider ME2 alone to be one of the absolute best games I've ever played. That alone is worth the price of entry, especially with its DLC.

But the entire trilogy, bringing your save from the end of ME1 into the beginning of ME2, and then from the end of ME2 to the beginning of ME3... its an experience unlike anything from any franchise ever. Its the greatest gaming trilogy ever, bar none.

finish the Witcher(never made it past Skellige sort of area)
Another one of gaming's finest experiences, especially with its two expansions Heart of Stone with Blood & Wine.

same with Cyber punk(last thing I remember is High rises and a big flying dragon)

I may have to add I'm including its recent expansion 'Phantom Liberty' with that recommendation.

CP2077 had a very rough start, to the point it just recently achieved a 'Overwhelmingly Positive' status on Steam. Very well deserved.

4. Returnal : (Keep coming back to it. One of hardest and most rewarding games Ive ever played)
5. Jedi Survivor:(Nothing short of superb Star Wars)

Bob Grays Criminally Underplayed Game: Marvel Midnight Suns

Feels like everything will battle for places 2-5 after BG3, but maybe not.

Solid list here!

I think remakes are fine for this list. Optimization and Remasters though... meh.
Old games with optimization or updated graphics shouldn't really count IMO.

My list:
1. Returnal
2. Streets of Rage 4
3. Horizon Forbidden West
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake (slightly outside the 5 year window by a few months) but one of my all time favorites
5. Hades
Honorable Mentions: Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor, Helldivers 2

Returnal is truly a weird addiction. I have collected EVERYTHING including upgrading ALL the perks of all the weapons and still this game draws me back time and time again. I find myself playing it at least once as week (30 mins to a few hours depending on my mood). I am such a veteran at the game that I can casually play and beat it. I will find myself dying every once in a long while if I am not paying attention or play way too aggressive. For a hot moment I could not stop playing Streets of Rage 4 and was obsessed with clearing every stages with an S rank. Same thing with RE2 (cleared all stages with S rank) and unlocked every weapons. With Hades I had unlocked a good chunk of the achievements but then the game left Gamepass so I had to buy it again on STEAM (and PS5 too) once it was on sale. Got way further than my first Gamepass account. I am definitely ready for Hades II. I haven't gotten around to run HFW again after beating it but I just updated the game last week and started it for 5 mins last week to check that my save files were still good and I was able to trigger the DLC story. Planning on running the DLC eventually.

5. Jedi Survivor:(Nothing short of superb Star Wars)

1. Returnal
2. Streets of Rage 4
3. Horizon Forbidden West
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake (slightly outside the 5 year window by a few months) but one of my all time favorites
5. Hades
Honorable Mentions: Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor, Helldivers 2

Two lists down, hopefully many more to go.

@Madmick Could you contribute?

Since you said last 5 years I'm going with any game that released in 2019 up until today's date.

1. Returnal - Most immersive game I've ever played that wasn't VR. Sound is on another level and gameplay is so satisfying. Love the OST as well, reminds me of the sci-fi film Annihilation if you've ever seen it.
2. Sekiro - Best level design and parry system was a lot of fun.
3. Nioh 2 - Addictive gameplay and much better enemy variety than the previous title
4. Lies of P - Greatest surprise of 2023 and I'd even rank it above titles like Demon's Souls and Darks Souls II.
5. Astro's Playroom - This little game was such a surprise. Loved going through the history of the PlayStation and the haptics were great of course consider it is a tech demo. They absolutely need to make a proper full game.

Games that almost made it on the list: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Streets of Rage 4, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Last edited:
the "last five years" kinda ruins it for me, since i'm not gaming much these days so my opinion wouldn't fit here.
i mean, i'm a Splinter Cell (first three), Bioshock, Dead Space, Alien Isolation player. Last game i played was Syberia for like the 3rd time.

There seems to be some amount of drama in this thread about the inclusion of remasters and remakes so I’ll do my best to stick with games that are neither and newer than 5 years old:

1) Elden Ring
2) Doom Eternal
3) Cyberpunk 2077
4) Baldur’s Gate 3
5) Super Mario Wonder

Bonus: Star Wars Squadrons

Now if I was going to include remasters and remakes then the Quake 2 remaster would be probably my #2 or #3.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice misses your release window by only 2 months, so in its disqualification:

#1 Recommendation = Ghost of Tsushima

#2 Recommendation = Demon's Souls (if disallowed as remake, then: Nioh 2)

#3 Recommendation = Horizon Forbidden West

#4 Recommendation = God of War: Ragnarök

#5 Recommendation = Returnal
–––
Bonus Recommendation = GreedFall from Parisian outfit Spiders

Sample List -

Damn bro, you giving us homework?

Damn Witcher 3 came out almost a decade ago. Does the next gen upgrade count? Not exactly a remaster.

The thing is that with my recommendations, my scope in gaming has dwindled quite a bit over the years. I've played a lot but also disregarded a lot. I'm thinking about variety as well, but honestly, I haven't had a varied palate.

My favourite series of all time is Yakuza/Like A Dragon and Judgment, but it's difficult to recommend just one. I'm big on jumping into a series from the start.

I'd recommend Stardew Valley, but it came out in 2016 and was built on a lot since then. May be disqualified.

I'd also like to pick a racing game but honestly, I find them to be too unforgiving nowadays. I used to play them more as a kid, arcade style, with barriers. I don't have much tolerance for stress nowadays. Maybe I should give more modern fighters a try. I did play a fair bit of UFC4 but honestly, it's far too limited to recommend. I was just making do.

There are also games that I'd like to include but are right on the cusp, like Judgment and Monster Hunter: World, 2018 releases.

My list isn't great. Not varied enough. But here you go.

1) Like a Dragon
2) Cyberpunk 2077
3) Outer Worlds
4) Lost Judgment (Inc Kaito Files)
5) Ghostwire: Tokyo

About the remakes and remasters? I bet the impression that TS wants the last five years of gaming represented, so I'd include ground up remakes and not reskinned remasters.

Last edited:
Back