Tipping

it isnt meant to be racist in any way. i am just stating from my experiences. i waited on tables for years. i could sugarcoat it or just lie, but why? any other server who is not lying to you will say the same thing

To be fair, I imagine it is the same in most jobs. You should see the look of derision creep onto people's faces if I walk up to be served wherever wearing workout sweats sporting stubble vs when i'm clean shaven/well dressed.

And i'm white, so heck knows what it's like for others, especially since I do live in a predominantly white part of England.

To be fair, I imagine it is the same in most jobs. You should see the look of derision creep onto people's faces if I walk up to be served wherever wearing workout sweats sporting stubble vs when i'm clean shaven/well dressed.

And i'm white, so heck knows what it's like for others, especially since I do live in a predominantly white part of England.

for anyone to even remotely consider what i said to be racist is just ridiculous. all servers want is money. most could give a shit if you are green as long as they think you will tip well. i would have waited on bin laden, hitler, and charles manson if i thought they would give me 25%. as a server, its a numbers game. more tables of better clients equals more money. so typically (and remember i said black tables who did tip well frequently tipped the best), european and black tables require the most effort and/or take the most time to dine meaning less money to be made.

to honestly think it is just some made up stereotype in peoples heads is just crazy. obviously, there are exceptions to EVERY rule. oh, and guess what. i am straight as can be. i dont mind gay people, but flaming gay people make me a little uncomfortable. but when they come into a restaurant, the servers all knocked each other over to try to serve them. why/ because they usually tip really well. again, its about the money

and you are white, but once that accent was heard, nobody would want to wait on you here in the states. brits werent the worst overall from europe, but not great overall

and you are white, but once that accent was heard, nobody would want to wait on you here in the states. brits werent the worst overall from europe, but not great overall

Now you see that I believe. We don't really have much of a tipping culture here and are unlikely to start doing so just because "Johnny Foreigner" expects us to.

That's actually most people's attitudes around here :icon_sad:

Reading the initial post again, I see I was wrong to jump to "RACIST".

Apologies.

Now you see that I believe. We don't really have much of a tipping culture here and are unlikely to start doing so just because "Johnny Foreigner" expects us to.

That's actually most people's attitudes around here :icon_sad:

Reading the initial post again, I see I was wrong to jump to "RACIST".

Apologies.

no, i dont think anyone expects you to change your culture in your country at all. its just the "when in rome" thing. so although you may not tip there (and rightfully so considering the wages servers make there compared to here) doesnt mean you should hold that standard when visiting here. when you are in the states we are not the Johnny Foreigner, you are. just like when i travel i respect and follow the etiquette of the country i am visiting, the same should be for folks visiting here. of course it is ultimately the right of the individual to tip and how much to. but you cant be surprised when you may not get grade a service from people.

i can honestly say even though i may not have wanted to wait on certain tables, i always gave it my best because like i said, there are always exceptions. but i remember one foreign guy that came in. no tip on $60 his first day even though he got good service. he came in the second day in a row and same thing. on the third day he came in and somehow i got him again. by this time he got shit service.

I imagine cutting myself with a rusty razor would be less painful than reading tipping threads on Sherdog.

Brings out the fucking crazies, man

I haven't been abroad that often, but when I went to Italy I remember my dad and I tipping EVERYONE.

Hotel workers, restaurant workers, tour guides. Why? Because they seemed genuinely helpful and pleasant. It may have been an act, but at least they made the effort.

Now if someone gives me shitty service and sticks their hand out at the end, hell no.

But if someone makes an effort to be civil and doesn't mess up, then yeah, tip comes their way.

But that is a rare thing where I live unfortunately. We don't seem to get the "tripping over one another to serve" effect that you speak of here. Again, likely a cultural thing. Because they don't expect tips here and get paid regardless, they may have got into the mentality of "mediocre will do".

Shame really.

I have NO CLUE OF WHAT you are talking about? What is MMA? What is UFC? What is a Culinary Workers Union? Who is Randy Couture?

What does this have to do with this topic?

This is one of the most peculiar things I have ever seen on this website. How did you even come across this site in the first place? Your account is 2 years old and the only things you have posted on an MMA forum pertain to food service. I understand that there are many posters here who stay away from the main forum and stick to the sub-forums. However, most of the people who post here initially came for MMA or something martial arts related.

Last edited:
for anyone to even remotely consider what i said to be racist is just ridiculous. all servers want is money. most could give a shit if you are green as long as they think you will tip well. i would have waited on bin laden, hitler, and charles manson if i thought they would give me 25%. as a server, its a numbers game. more tables of better clients equals more money. so typically (and remember i said black tables who did tip well frequently tipped the best), european and black tables require the most effort and/or take the most time to dine meaning less money to be made.

to honestly think it is just some made up stereotype in peoples heads is just crazy. obviously, there are exceptions to EVERY rule. oh, and guess what. i am straight as can be. i dont mind gay people, but flaming gay people make me a little uncomfortable. but when they come into a restaurant, the servers all knocked each other over to try to serve them. why/ because they usually tip really well. again, its about the money

The brothers are not big tippers in my experience either. I worked nightclubs, pubs, roadhouses and higher end restaurants and it was the same across the board.

I didn't have a problem with Europeans, we had a ton of tourists frpm all over the world where i lived and the only regularily bad tippers from outside of Canada were the Koreans. Pretty much the worst.

That being said, cheap people come in all shapes and sizes.

Right Shingles?

Mandatory tipping is retarded.

Give me good service, I'll tip. Give me shit service, no tip or miniscule tip.

I don't get rewarded for doing a shit job, and neither should a waitress.

The thing about the black issue is.......... my best server and my wife almost always get good tips from blacks.
Give them good service and treat them properly with no pre-conceived notions and you will find they will tip well more often than not.
As owners we love it when blacks come in. My stereotype on them is they order a lot. If you nail their order you got a customer for life.

The thing about the black issue is.......... my best server and my wife almost always get good tips from blacks.
Give them good service and treat them properly with no pre-conceived notions and you will find they will tip well more often than not.
As owners we love it when blacks come in. My stereotype on them is they order a lot. If you nail their order you got a customer for life.

This, I think, is the biggest problem.

As soon as black people walk into a restaurant, people automatically think they won't tip, and treat them as such. It's a never-ending cycle. Because a server doesn't think they'll tip well, they half-ass their service, and end up with a shitty [or no] tip. I think it's funny. "Black people don't tip." But because of that notion, you don't give them good service.

White people won't tip if you're a shitty server, but since servers have the idea that white people tip well, they give them better service. They're not tipping because they're white, they're tipping because the service was good.

This, I think, is the biggest problem.

As soon as black people walk into a restaurant, people automatically think they won't tip, and treat them as such. It's a never-ending cycle. Because a server doesn't think they'll tip well, they half-ass their service, and end up with a shitty [or no] tip. I think it's funny. "Black people don't tip." But because of that notion, you don't give them good service.

White people won't tip if you're a shitty server, but since servers have the idea that white people tip well, they give them better service. They're not tipping because they're white, they're tipping because the service was good.

True story---- I had a server in 2007; 2007, mind you not 40 years ago, tell a table of black people they had to pay before they got their food. True fucking story.

True story---- I had a server in 2007; 2007, mind you not 40 years ago, tell a table of black people they had to pay before they got their food. True fucking story.

Hopefully that dickhead got fired. That is unacceptable.

You treat someone like shit, and they will tip you like shit. If you treat an entire race like shit, and they don't tip you, don't pretend it's because of their race.

This classic work of cinema might be able to inform you a little on the matter.

[YT]Z-qV9wVGb38[/YT]

Also, its generally 15% or more

Hopefully that dickhead got fired. That is unacceptable.

You treat someone like shit, and they will tip you like shit. If you treat an entire race like shit, and they don't tip you, don't pretend it's because of their race.

Yeah we fired her. She was a total train wreck. I told her, What the fuck did you just do?!?! She said she was looking out for my business. "How, by having the NAACP proetesting this place and getting us shut down?!?!?!"

Back