Tipping

Considering that's what tipping is SUPPOSED to be in the first place. A tip is traditionally given as person-to-person gift; a thank you for exemplary service.

As far as I know, tipping is only "mandatory" in America. Other places view tips as what they are, or don't accept them at all.

I don't have a particularly negative view about tipping. I have a negative view about "mandatory" tipping. If people decide they want to leave a tip for mediocre/bad service, good for them. Not me, sorry. I also have a problem with "server entitlement". I have worked in a few different restaurants, between a few different duties.

The most annoying thing in the world is working the kitchen in a place that doesn't share tips, and hear a bitch complain that she got stiffed, only to find out she made 300 bucks in a six hour shift. For those who don't have a working calculator in their heads, that is 50 bucks an hour. But they still still complain if what guy ate his sandwich and didn't feel the need to leave extra dough. All while I'm in the back making 9 or 10 bucks an hour.

Amen.

I don't have a particularly negative view about tipping. I have a negative view about "mandatory" tipping. If people decide they want to leave a tip for mediocre/bad service, good for them. Not me, sorry. I also have a problem with "server entitlement". I have worked in a few different restaurants, between a few different duties.

i would have a problem with a server being deliberately pissy too, and so does everyone else. Of all the restaurants i've been to I've had only one, actual, shitty waiter. i don't remember the circumstances exactly but he was being a pretty flagrant dick to us.

there were a bunch of us (we were 14ish) so he threw gratuity on and scratched out all the item prices making it a pain in the ass divvying up the money. we complained to the manager.

that sort of thing is bullshit, but it's only happened to me once. ever. funny thing is, that's something you'd see more of only if tipping wasn't left up to the customer, or if their wages were increased to compensate for "no tipping". every other server i've ever had i WANTED to tip. i dunno how you're seeking out all the world's most offensively bad servers.

i would have a problem with a server being deliberately pissy too, and so does everyone else. Of all the restaurants i've been to I've had only one, actual, shitty waiter. i don't remember the circumstances exactly but he was being a pretty flagrant dick to us.

there were a bunch of us (we were 14ish) so he threw gratuity on and scratched out all the item prices making it a pain in the ass divvying up the money. we complained to the manager.

that sort of thing is bullshit, but it's only happened to me once. ever. funny thing is, that's something you'd see more of only if tipping wasn't left up to the customer, or if their wages were increased to compensate for "no tipping". every other server i've ever had i WANTED to tip. i dunno how you're seeking out all the world's most offensively bad servers.

You still seem to be under the impression that I constantly find myself in the midst of bad service. Again, that's your assumption, and not nearly the truth. Your threshold seems to be "if the guy is being an absolute dick". My threshold is apparently lower. More along the lines of "the service isn't good".

Also: good service=/=good attitude. You can be the friendliest, happiest person in the world and still be a shit server. Again, I shouldn't have to leave my table and find someone who's job is to come to me to get something I need.

Mediocre is not normal. If it is, that's a damn shame. I have no superiority complex. But I like your Dr. Phil attitude.

It depends on the situation. If I'm out to dinner, and the waitress/server disappears for a while as I'm eating, cool. As long as it's apparent that she's kept her eye out. That's half a servers job, is being able to notice when someone needs something. A good server always brings a refill before the first is gone, no questions asked. Unless, of course, it's an alcoholic beverage [again, at dinner], in which case you politely ask if you want another or something else. Not that hard. That's pretty all you have to do. I understand that it's typically not a servers fault if the food takes too long. That's the kitchen. I've worked on both sides of the counter. In a bar situation, however, a good server will come by every 5 to 10 minutes [maybe a bit longer if it's busy], to make sure everything is okay. People getting drunk are needy. If I'm in a place with a waitstaff, and have to go find a fucking server because I've been waiting half an hour, something is wrong with the service.

I find it ridiculously hard to believe that you think it's cool to vaguely insult people over an opinion because you draw false conclusions from said opinion.

mediocre, medium, average, normal.

my conclusions were drawn simply from what you said. i get now that you think mediocre means bad or has some kind of negative connotation, which isn't correct, but at least we have that cleared up.

And, I still probably tip better than you do.

But I enjoy the fact that you're being judgmental for the sake of it.

I seriously doubt that you do.

I'm judging you based off your own posts. Sounds like you're doing quite a bit of backtracking.

mediocre, medium, average, normal.

my conclusions were drawn simply from what you said. i get now that you think mediocre means bad or has some kind of negative connotation, which isn't correct, but at least we have that cleared up.

My whole point is that I won't tip simply because it's deemed "mandatory" by our society. If you do a bad job, I won't tip. It's that simple.

If you do a good job, I tip way more than 20 percent on average.

You still seem to be under the impression that I constantly find myself in the midst of bad service. Again, that's your assumption, and not nearly the truth. Your threshold seems to be "if the guy is being an absolute dick". My threshold is apparently lower. More along the lines of "the service isn't good".

Also: good service=/=good attitude. You can be the friendliest, happiest person in the world and still be a shit server. Again, I shouldn't have to leave my table and find someone who's job is to come to me to get something I need.

again, i was saying that in response to "server entitlement" and the bitchy attitudes of servers you described from your days flippin' flapjacks in the back of the restaurant.

i didn't know you could just sniff out a server feeling entitled despite their great attitude. forgive me.

My whole point is that I won't tip simply because it's deemed "mandatory" by our society. If you do a bad job, I won't tip. It's that simple.

that's everyone. your demeanor was completely different at first.

If you do a good job, I tip way more than 20 percent on average.

what about a mediocre (satisfactory [appropriate but not exceptional]) job? do you tip the customary 15-20%?

again, i was saying that in response to "server entitlement" and the bitchy attitudes of servers you described from your days flippin' flapjacks in the back of the restaurant.

i didn't know you could just sniff out a server feeling entitled despite their great attitude. forgive me.

Don't have to sniff it out when the kitchen is where they disappear to take off their fake smile and vent that a guy didn't drop a 20 dollar tip on a 10 dollar sandwich.

what about a mediocre (satisfactory [appropriate but not exceptional]) job? do you tip 15-20%?

Probably around that much, sure. Maybe even 25%, depending on the cash I have. If it's a 40 dollar check and I have a 50, it'll be a "keep the change" situation.

I only tip if the service is above satisfactory. Nobody forces people to work a job that pays 2 bucks an hour. If you take that job expecting to be balling on tips, that's on you. If the service is not great, I'm not tipping.

That said, when it is great, I usually tip around 50%.

let me remind you of your initial post. you tell me. does that guy sound like someone who is eager to stiff someone or not?

Lol, that was exactly what I was about to quote.

Stick to your guns, whisky. No need to try and backtrack.

Probably around that much, sure. Maybe even 25%, depending on the cash I have. If it's a 40 dollar check and I have a 50, it'll be a "keep the change" situation.

then we don't need to be having this discussion. no one is condemning people for not rewarding bad service.

i'd probably still throw them something, just because i wouldn't know if they were new or having an uncharacteristic kind of night, but i'm not blaming you if you don't.

most servers suck and don't give a shit about you, and talk shit and make fun of you to their coworkers, even when they're like 2 feet away from you. they also complain and bitch when you tip them 20 percent, even when they sucked and were rude to you.

servers are basically just normal people, the same kind of normal people that come in and treat them like crap. i see it all the time. servers bitching about tips, then they go out, and don't tip themselves, or tip poorly.

i fully support, someone's decision to not tip when they get shit service, i even wanna high five some people for not giving in to the pressure and refusing to tip when they shouldnt. a lot of people who work in restaurants are so used to being in a restaurant its nothing special for them. but for some people, they had to get a babysitter, husbands not working late that night, they can only get an opportunity to go out once every 3 months. and their one special night out is ruined cos some nasty skanky gross thing is hung over smelling like booze in a bitchy mood is their server

let me remind you of your initial post. you tell me. does that guy sound like someone who is eager to stiff someone or not?

I still stand by that post. It was probably more vehement than it could have been. Showing up and doing your job earns you that two bucks an hour. Showing up and doing you job beyond the point of minimal satisfaction earns you a tip. From that point upwards, the tip just gets better and better.

Story time, I'll keep it short.

Back when I was in high school, my brother and I went to a restaurant kind of late. About 11pm, an hour before closing. The waitress was on break, and hostess sat us and took our drink orders. We got our soda and the waitress hadn't shown up yet. The hostess took our food orders. She ended up bringing us our food, and getting us refills when we needed them. She took our dishes away and said she'd come back with the check. Again, the hostess, just to keep that straightened out. Well, twenty minutes later, the original waitress that was supposed to help came by to give us the check. We didn't leave a tip for her, because she hadn't helped us at all. Instead, we tried to find the hostess, and even asked a manager. She had gone home.

The next time we went, the same hostess was working the front podium. I gave her a 50 dollar bill. Fifty bucks from my 200-a-week job. Why? Because she went well beyond what she had to do.

On the other hand, guess who was rude to us because we didn't tip her? That's right. The waitress who did nothing but hand us the check the first time we were there.

That's probably the point when I decided that I would only tip for doing more than the mandatory minimum job requirements. Some people do their jobs VERY well and deserve tips. Some people phone in their work performances and don't even deserve the job.

$1000 was a generality, but not an unrealistic one in your average busy bar or club or decent restaurant in an average population city.

sooooooo wrong. So you think on average in a decent restaurant in an average city a server sells $5,000 worth of food and bev and night and gets tipped 20% on every tab? soooooooooo wrong. So during an 8 hour shift I'm going to wait on 50 tables that all spend $100 each and they are all tipping me perfectly. You are out of your element in this thread.

I still stand by that post. It was probably more vehement than it could have been. Showing up and doing your job earns you that two bucks an hour. Showing up and doing you job beyond the point of minimal satisfaction earns you a tip. From that point upwards, the tip just gets better and better.

Story time, I'll keep it short.

Back when I was in high school, my brother and I went to a restaurant kind of late. About 11pm, an hour before closing. The waitress was on break, and hostess sat us and took our drink orders. We got our soda and the waitress hadn't shown up yet. The hostess took our food orders. She ended up bringing us our food, and getting us refills when we needed them. She took our dishes away and said she'd come back with the check. Again, the hostess, just to keep that straightened out. Well, twenty minutes later, the original waitress that was supposed to help came by to give us the check. We didn't leave a tip for her, because she hadn't helped us at all. Instead, we tried to find the hostess, and even asked a manager. She had gone home.

The next time we went, the same hostess was working the front podium. I gave her a 50 dollar bill. Fifty bucks from my 200-a-week job. Why? Because she went well beyond what she had to do.

On the other hand, guess who was rude to us because we didn't tip her? That's right. The waitress who did nothing but hand us the check the first time we were there.

That's probably the point when I decided that I would only tip for doing more than the mandatory minimum job requirements. Some people do their jobs VERY well and deserve tips. Some people phone in their work performances and don't even deserve the job.

i wouldn't say the designated waitress did the minimum requirements there. she did like 1/20 of her job. she sucks.

thing is, i like to tip well because it gets me free shit.

i used to go to TGIF to drink on friday nights with me and mah boyz during the semester (we commuted). we would tip the hot bartender (she looked like a bitchier version of Hilary Duff) an exorbitant amount of money, and in return she'd charge us for like 2 beers each.

when i delivered, if it was a crazy night and i was taking 7 deliveries out at a time, guess who got their shit 1st? Guess who got it 7th, an hour late (because the people who answer the phone can't seem to adjust the promised time as more and more deliveries come in)? i also let people keep their coupons to use again if they were good tippers, since no one ever checked that shit.

i wouldn't say the designated waitress did the minimum requirements there. she did like 1/20 of her job. she sucks.

thing is, i like to tip well because it gets me free shit.

i used to go to TGIF to drink on friday nights with me and mah boyz during the semester (we commuted). we would tip the hot bartender (she looked like a bitchier version of Hilary Duff) an exorbitant amount of money, and in return she'd charge us for like 2 beers each.

when i delivered, if it was a crazy night and i was taking 7 deliveries out at a time, guess who got their shit 1st? Guess who got it 7th, an hour late (because the people who answer the phone can't seem to adjust the promised time as more and more deliveries come in)? i also let people keep their coupons to use again if they were good tippers, since no one ever checked that shit.

If I'm a regular at a place, it's probably because they have excellent service to begin with. And, for the most part, I stick to places I know are good about that stuff.

You're ignoring the fact that servers are doing their JOB. They're not independent contractors. They're not selling Avon. They're employees. They're bringing stuff from point A to point B. Enough with your craziness, lol.

Sure, they just bring stuff from the kitchen to your table. At the "decent restaurants in average cities" where you say servers are making a grand a night they are never asked to memorize and give their opinion on extensive wine list and long, complex menus. Never asked to explain to a thousand different patrons with different palates, allergies, and high expectations, which wine goes with which dish, which dish a certain picky customer may prefer, they aren't relied upon to send through each course at the correct time so that it reaches the table at the right moment in the midst of 5-10 course meal all while making friendly. Oh and multiply this by 10 or 15 tables at a time because that how many tables you have in you section at a busy spot.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. Enough with your ignorance.

Last edited:
Back