Tipping

Almost makes me want to wait tables, I've learned so much and from such a passionate garson.

Springs does make some good points. In my experience, at least half the time if not more it is the servers fault when food takes too long.
for example, I hate when the servers hold their tix and put in 4 (or even three) at once. They are not allowed to do that. So the first table has to wait extra long and other servers got tix in also. I can't tell you how many times someone will say they have been here for 45 minutes and the tix time says they were 20 minutes.
There are other examples i could give, like some servers are too slow with the pos system and other servers get their orders in first.
A far as the coupon goes, I always let my customers keep it for the next time. But I own the place. I wouldn't get mad at my servers if they let them keep them because they have been here long enough to do that.
We actually had internet coupons redeemed that I did not authorize last week. It was only ten percent and we got four more customers out of it. In this economy I will take everything I can get. At first i was mad but like i said it was only 10 percent and the customers loved the food.

Female and married over 10yrs to a MAN. 35 yrs old.

That explains it. Not really interested anymore. Still want to see a pic but last time I asked a pic was posted, a fiasco insued, and I got dubbs. Hell if I want to see a 35yr old anyway.

Springs does make some good points. In my experience, at least half the time if not more it is the servers fault when food takes too long. for example, I hate when the servers hold their tix and put in 4 (or even three) at once. They are not allowed to do that. So the first table has to wait extra long and other servers got tix in also.

THANK YOU!! Once, at Outback, we were triple sat, ended up being the first ones(just me and my husband out of the group to get seated, the other 2 tables which the 2nd table had 4 or 5 people can't remember, and the 3rd table had 2. Our waiter didn't even get to our table until 3 minutes later, which it was only 5p.m.(I understand it's busy), but what got me soooo pissed off is that we only ordered 2 cokes, he goes to the 2nd table gets their drink orders and who knows if they ordered an appetizer or not, then goes to the 3rd table gets their drink orders. By the time he came back, it was literally 5:10p.m. 5:11p.m., then he had the GALL to hand off the tray a lady at the 2nd table her's first. It's not the seconds I am mad about, it's the PRINCIPLE that we waited literally 10-11 minutes for 2 COKES. That's NUTS!! It's NOT FAIR!! WHY are they seating people that way? The hostess shouldn't be seating one right after the other. They should make the 2nd party and 3rd parties wait until they have a little leeway. People expect you service once you are seated. If I would have been the server in that situation, I would have spoke up to the hostess or host why you seated all 3 tables one right after the other like that. Also, it's the principle that the waiter KNEW we ordered first and instead of putting the drink down on the tray, NO, he handed hers before OURS. It's just morally wrong. Also, if we would have ordered a bar drink, by the time he would have gone to put the bar drink order into the computer after getting 2 other table's orders would have been a delay too.

Servers should go in the ORDER in which people were seated in. Our waiter should have gotten our drink orders from us and then proceeded to tell the next table "I'll be right with you all." Go get the cokes, deliver them and by the time then, the customers may or may not want to order. If they do want to order, obviously they should get to order and the waiter should put the order into the computer. I mean we did sit for 3 minutes just to get greeted and we waited longer than the 2nd and 3rd parties in the waiting area anyway. Now, the 2nd table would be upset and the 3rd table would be too, but it's only FAIR to do it like that. Either you are going to make US upset or them and it's VERY UNFAIR to go out of order. Now, more than likely, if you greet the customers in a minute to a minute and a half or so, they won't be ready to order. So then that leaves time for our server you to go to the 2nd table, which they may order drinks and be ready to order. Then you go to the 3rd table to tell them that you will be right with them and to apologize because you were triple sat. Then go to the computer put their food orders in, get their drinks and bring the ones you can(obviously if any bar drinks, you'd have to check the bar in between. Then finally the 3rd table gets to order and probably has sat for 10 or more minutes and in the scenario, we sat for 10 minutes to get 2 cokes and to actually place our food orders, it was 12-14 minutes later from when we were seated, so the 3rd table didn't get to order their food assuming that they didn't order when greeted until 15-20 minutes later either way, but the difference is, we ALL don't have to suffer, just the 3rd table. You may say one day we will be the 3rd table, yes, and I will feel it's only FAIR to have my server go in order, because we have been when we were first. I do think it was stupid of the hostess to triple seat a party of 4-5 people between us. That's a lot of people to get an order from at the 2nd table and the way he did it, he delayed the 2nd table as well as ours. NO customers should wait 10 minutes to get 2 cokes unless you have constantly orders that have been order BEFORE those customers that you are delivering or something is wrong. It's INSANE that it took him 7-8 minutes from the time he took our drink orders to get 2 cokes. It's UNFAIR!! It's only fair that the 3rd table waits the longest since they were 3rd in line when we waited for a table. The hostess should wait until the first table has 5-7 minutes leeway before seating the next table in the same section for the same server. There shouldn't *EVER* be a triple sat or double sat situation.

Managers are afraid they lost customers, but they lose REPEAT CUSTOMERS by double and triple seating. They don't understand that. They have to look for the FUTURE, not just that one time and we have a right to want to leave after not getting cokes for 10 minutes. I'll pay for the cokes and leave. Nobody wants to wait that long for 2 cokes. That is just ridiculous! Especially at only 5p.m. If it was 8p.m. a bit more understanding.

I had a server last year who twice in one day did not realize she had customers waiting and hour and did not get food. One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did? We were slammed but still.
Like I wrote it is a tough profession that most people couldn't do.

Christ this is a long thread that I wish I caught earlier.

I used to live in Korea where tipping was not required, and somewhat insulting from tourists I met who mistakenly tried to tip their taxi driver. Although service is somewhat different in Korea (buttons on the tables to call over a waitress, many barbeque restaurants where you cook the meat yourself, etc.) I never felt that it was substandard in anyway despite the lack of tip.

It seems to me that tips are simply an entitlement that wait staff expect. This is reflected by the fact that they are paid less than minimum wage. Even the government expects you to tip. People are always quick to caution that you better have some conviction in refusing to tip on account of poor service for this reason. All that does is simply add pressure to tip even when it's reasonable not to do so.

I think the social confrontation that arises from stiffing someone on a tip because of their poor service also leads people to avoiding the conflict and tipping anyway.

Ideally waiters and waitresses should be paid a flat rate like every other service job. I've never tipped someone for helping me find a pair of jeans, or someone outfitting me with a pair of skis, or the store clerk that tracked down a product for me. They've all done their jobs just fine, and if I were bothered by their conduct I'd file a complaint or simply stop shopping there.

Being paid a flat rate for the wait staff would benefit them as well. No longer would they ever have to pick up a religious tract disguised as money, and they wouldn't have to worry about the tendency of large groups to undertip. I imagine there would be a certain relief in knowing that you're not dependent on tips would make the job somewhat stressful as well.

this is the kind of system that i would vote for.

i sort of see tipping as a part of the overall payment, anyway. and that may be because i tend to pay the same percentage for all my tips, and i usually know the amount i'm going to pay.

I had a server last year who twice in one day did not realize she had customers waiting and hour and did not get food. One tix she forgot but one tix one of the cooks put it on the done spindle instead of on the board. The thing is though her section was only five tables and c'mon how do you not realize that one of your tables didn't get food but tables 20 minutes after them did? We were slammed but still.
Like I wrote it is a tough profession that most people couldn't do.

Thank you. My husband and I have been eating out 1-3 times a weekend since late 2000, so we have had A LOT of EXPERIENCES with this and why I know that the kitchen staff is rarely at fault for long waits.

We have had many instances why our food was taking a long time. Times when servers have admitted to forgetting to put in orders or putting in orders wrong. Some also brought out the wrong items. My husband ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato, but OUR WAITER which we *SAW* didn't compare his written orders to the food and he had on the SAME TRAY OUR food as well as another table's food. He put in front of my husband fried shrimp w/fries. Turns out, he admitted grabbing the wrong plate from the kitchen, but we *SAW* he ALSO DIDN'T VERIFY that he was HANDING the correct food from the tray on the tray jack to our table. So he made 2 mistakes, not just one. He probably didn't check his written order to begin with is what he did, considering he didn't do it in front of us as he should have. So it wasn't that he put in the order wrong or that the kitchen messed up. He didn't BRING out the correct food to our table that was OBVIOUS to the eyes without touching the food. A lot of servers are LAZY like that and don't *CARE* about what they are doing. We still left 17%, but that was many years ago and now since many more bad experiences have happened to us, I would have wanted to tip like 12%. He profusely apologized so that's why we still left that much and since it was fixed right away, but that was STUPID, just plain LAZY and DUMB of him. He didn't even *TRY* get get things correct to the table as the SERVER'S JOB IS! That's most of the tip is to TRY to get the order correct as much as they possibly can control.

I just think that experience was ridiculous. I mean, fries aren't a baked potato, DUH, and fried shrimp isn't crawfish au gratin. That waiter looked like an IDIOT. The problem with a lot of servers is that they are TOO LAZY to TRY THEIR BEST and don't CARE. They want us to care about their money though.

I go to the same eateries no matter what happens. Only a drastic change in owner/staff drive me away. I tip the same no matter what. If I'm drunk I lay it down and the staff at my favorite places know that. They got me a X-Mas gift the past couple years. I know their names they know mine. If they fuck up I don't give a shit they're local, they care or pretend very well. If I its my last time going to a joint I don't tip. I don't care if someone I don't know misses out on $10. I don't need to ensure good service for myself the next time.

Restaurant:

Under $50 - 10% is acceptable to the eyes of the waiter
15% ideal
20% is generous and we are grateful

$51-100

15% should be the minimum....
10% and you're a cheapskate to us
20% we love you

over $100

20%

==========

If you're French or Euro and hog the table for hours.. please tip very well.
Waiters lives on tips and when you hold one of their table, they are losing X customers thus X tips for the duration of your stay.
The Tip given really depends on the establishment though

If you're in a fancy 4-5star place and sitting for 2hr+
pretty much 20/hr - maybe more... please be considerate

================================

Valet Parkers

Malls = $2-5
Hotel = $5
Restaurent - If forced = $2
If you decided to use them = $5
Using VIP parking spot imho $10
Got a fancy car to be taken car of (shade parking, handicap spot so no idiot scratches your car, in a secured spot that can be easily kept an eye on) $10-20

any additional services (bags, grocery) = $5
walking the dog = talk with the guys - you can make arrangement for them to get the Key from the front desk and walk your dog on the 1st hour, 4th hour and 8th hour before we clock out... if you have them on this plan - make an offer and pay either daily or weekly

running errands - gas money + tip or Tip + use your car (trust me, we like driving your Bentley to buy you a pack of cigs and wine)

Airport Run - If they can - usually $25+gas money
===================

Bars

$1 for beers
$1 for mix drinks if they price isnt fair
$2 for mix drinks if they were cheap/fair
$3 for hook up drinks / beers (you knew the beer costed 7-8 bucks but he charged it as a domestic for $3 - tip him the additional $3-5 for hooking you up.)
(you know he gave you top, premium liquor and charged you for a low end, well liquor - saving you few bucks, give him those few bucks)

I tip 15%. That's it.

If the service is INCREDIBLE I'll tip more but that's what I tip on every bill, I don't give a fuck about it being over this or over that. The fact that you said "51 - 100" should be a 20% tip is crazy. 15% is more than generous enough.
Do your fucking job and be thankful for the money people hand out to you that they don't have to pay you if they choose not too.

You wanna judge people for not tipping go fuck yourself. Nothing in this world says you ought to be tipped for this job except you. Waiters and waitresses are NOT the hardest working people in this world. Nurses, miners, factory workers, they're getting saddled with right to work laws and losing their benefits every day. Wages are getting lower and lower for the hardest working people in our society and you, who contribute nothing except bringing people their fucking food, YOU EXPECT a tip??

All this extra money you just expect for doing your job is total nonsense. You wanna start a union and get paid more money I'm all for it. You expect me to help you pay for your life cause I want to eat at a restaurant then go fuck yourself.
Bums beg for money I don't have to give them anything either.

If I ever had you for a waitress after reading this post I would tip you a bag of my shit.

I enjoy getting as belligerently drunk as possible with a large group of friends before venturing into whatever establishment has been unfortunate enough to earn our patronage. We then proceed to being the most ignorant group possible and leaving a mess. After paying the bill I leave .09 because service wasnt worth a dime.

Gigantic wall of text number 1

Gigantic wall of text number 2

berneydidnotread.gif

If you expect me to read that two post wall of text, you have lost your mind.

lol I read the caps and eye catching parts. Turned out to be a senseless estro-rant.

lol I read the caps and eye catching parts. Turned out to be a senseless estro-rant.

Gonna take a shot in the dark and assume she went on a rant about all the duties a server has to do "behind the scenes", while obviously not realizing that when I say "all a waitress has to do" is in the context of serving me?

Tell me I'm right?

People get awfully uptight about service positions.

Hit it. With really detailed examples. She is a confident consumer I tell you what. I think she just needed some Whisky.

Hit it. With really detailed examples. She is a confident consumer I tell you what. I think she just needed some Whisky.

Everyone needs some Whisky every once in a while.

;)

Edit: Wow. She must have REALLY NEEDED IT. Fuck. 20 posts in two years, and comes bombing out of the corner at me. I'm a monster.

Edit 2: All of her posts are in three threads, all about food service.

Everyone needs some Whisky every once in a while.

;)

Edit: Wow. She must have REALLY NEEDED IT. Fuck. 20 posts in two years, and comes bombing out of the corner at me. I'm a monster.

Edit 2: All of her posts are in three threads, all about food service.

That's just perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back