Your Top 5 Modern Games You'd Recommend -2024

Damn Witcher 3 came out almost a decade ago. Does the next gen upgrade count? Not exactly a remaster.

Optimized for modern hardware counts.

About the remakes and remasters? I bet the impression that TS wants the last five years of gaming represented, so I'd include ground up remakes and not reskinned remasters.

If a Remake/Remaster/Optimized title still holds up amongst today's releases, then by all means include it on your list.

As Madmick mentioned Mass Effect 3 - "Mass Effect 3's gameplay doesn't feel qualitatively any different than any other shooters I play today. It isn't stale, archaic, or aged in any discernible sense."

Damn bro, you giving us homework?
I just sent out a polite invitation for your input for what will be in the 'Top 10 Modern Titles Sherdog Recommends' (working title).

You could just give a #1, #2, #3, #4, & #5... or a more detailed summaration, a mini-review for each one. No 'homework' required.

And your choices aren't final when you post them. You can make any edits you like.

If a Remake/Remaster/Optimized title still holds up amongst today's releases, then by all means include it on your list.

As Madmick mentioned Mass Effect 3 - "Mass Effect 3's gameplay doesn't feel qualitatively any different than any other shooters I play today. It isn't stale, archaic, or aged in any discernible sense."

I just sent out a polite invitation for your input for what will be in the 'Top 10 Modern Titles Sherdog Recommends' (working title).

You could just give a #1, #2, #3, #4, & #5... or a more detailed summaration, a mini-review for each one. No 'homework' required.

And your choices aren't final when you post them. You can make any edits you like.

What are we actually looking for with "modern" games?

Representation for the time period or the concept of video games evolving into next gen? Or just something to recommend to new owners who want anything with a new release date on it? Because the Mass Effect trilogy, may be a great recommendation, but does it really represent the 2020s?

Then again, videogames seem to be a lot like cars. They may be prettier nowadays and have more bells and whistles, but they still generally operate as four-wheeled ground vehicles with a steering wheel and gearbox.

Maybe I'll find some modern games on GamePass tomorrow, get away from the shooters and the RPGs.

I'm just messing with you dude. The OP is legitimately written like an assignment.

Here are 5 modern games I really like, not sure about the order yet

Ghost of Tsushima
Forza Horizon 5
Metroid Dread
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok

BONUS Riders Republic

edit changed the order- this is what I am feeling right now.

Last edited:
1. Doom Eternal
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Aliens: Dark Descent
4. Armored Core VI The Fires of Rubicon Edit: Changing this to Hades. Totally slipped my mind.
5. Turbo Overkill Edit: Changing this to Armored Core VI The Fires of Rubicon

Bonus: Disco Elysium

I've other recent games in my library but I've not played them yet. Two have the potential to crack the top 5. Also, Star Wars Empire At War: Gold Pack is still getting updates lol, the last update was a few months ago. For reference, it came out in 2006.

Ghost of Tsushima might crack this list, maybe even go near the top, but it's not out on PC yet so I haven't played it.

Aliens: Dark Descent is my biggest surprise, flawed but incredibly enjoyable game. I didn't think I'd ever play it but I got a wild hair one day and nabbed it on Steamer and couldn't stop. It seems to kind of have invented its own genre.

Several of the games I've included have a multiplayer component but are sold on the single player so I figured the list works.

Last edited:
1. Hades : GOEY (Game of Every Year)
2. Baldurs: Gate 3 (Nothing much else to say)
3. Frostpunk: (So much quality DLC and free shit)
4. Returnal : (Keep coming back to it. One of hardest and most rewarding games Ive ever played)
5. Jedi Survivor:(Nothing short of superb Star Wars)

Bob Grays Criminally Underplayed Game: Marvel Midnight Suns

Feels like everything will battle for places 2-5 after BG3, but maybe not.
So glad you mentioned Jedi Survivor cuz I just bought it. Enjoyed the previous one, but the leveling up kinda sucked.

1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. God of War Ragnarok
3. Metroid Dread
4. Elden Ring
5. Tales of Arise

There are still a lot of modern games I need to get around to playing/finishing but these are the top pick of what I played since the start of the latest Gen. I'd give Cyberpunk an honorable mention. Definitely wasn't a bad game, I didn't not enjoy playing through it, but the story just didn't resonate with me. Also Resident Evil 8 just barely missed the top 5. Still flip flopping on if I like it more than 4 or not.

I'm not the best guy because I still got highly regarded games in my backlog (Like BG3 for example) and have mostly been catching up with older games, but here are my suggestions:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Doom Eternal
3. Turbo Overkill
4. Dave the Diver
5. 7 Days to Die (Cheating a bit because it's notoriously been out for ages on early access, but the latest build (Alpha 21) is really good and they just recently announced the official release for next month so good time to jump in. Been loving this game for years and years and they have improved it a lot through early access)

1. Elden Ring
2. Sekiro
3. Doom Eternal
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Lies of P

HM: Armored Core 6, Lords of the Fallen, The Jedi games, Dead Space remake, Forza Motorsport, Aliens Dark Descent, Wo Long and probably a bunch more I can't think of right now.

Last edited:
1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. The Witcher 3
3. Elden Ring
4. Ghost of Tsushima
5. Baldur's Gate 3

1. Sekiro
2. Hades
3. Doom Eternal
4. Elden Ring
5. Dead Cells

Honorable mention: Helldivers 2

The Legendary Edition of the games may still be worth picking up, on sale, because it includes all the DLC for all three games with the exception of some horde mode from ME1.

ME1 was reworked from the ground-up to be on the same quality as ME2 & ME3.

And I still consider ME2 alone to be one of the absolute best games I've ever played. That alone is worth the price of entry, especially with its DLC.

But the entire trilogy, bringing your save from the end of ME1 into the beginning of ME2, and then from the end of ME2 to the beginning of ME3... its an experience unlike anything from any franchise ever. Its the greatest gaming trilogy ever, bar none.

Another one of gaming's finest experiences, especially with its two expansions Heart of Stone with Blood & Wine.

I may have to add I'm including its recent expansion 'Phantom Liberty' with that recommendation.

CP2077 had a very rough start, to the point it just recently achieved a 'Overwhelmingly Positive' status on Steam. Very well deserved.

Yeah I think I already own them all, I just never played. I really should get around to it, but will play through Outward first.

Yeah I love Witcher, I just never seem to make it past Skellige for some reason before life gets in the way.

I had no issues at all playing Cyberpunk from Day 1. I never experienced all the issues people were speaking about.
I found it enjoyable, but a bit underwhelming. I will have to revisit eventually now that people are loving it.

Trying to avoid the usual suspects...

Hades
Vampire Survivors/Brotato
The Evil Within 2
Diablo 4
Prey

Elden Ring
Like A Dragon
COD Warzone
Resi 2 Remake(Again I can't not include it despite being slightly out the remit)
FM24
Bonus: Chivalry 2

Bunch of games I know would probably make the list that i've not played like Balders Gate 3, Disco Elysium and FF7 Remake.

Last edited:
1. Elden Ring
2. Ghost of Tsushima
3. The Last of Us 2
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Halo Infinite
Bonus: Resident Evil 2 remake. Just outside the 5 year limit but I haven't really played anything new this year. If that doesn't count then RE8. These are basically my GOTY from 2019 thru 2023 (two from 2020).

Yeah I love Witcher, I just never seem to make it past Skellige for some reason before life gets in the way.

Bro, if you love Witcher 3, and you haven't even made it past Skellige yet... holy shit.

Skellige is one of the best parts... but just one of the best parts. There's many 'best parts' you have yet to see, and by the time you beat the game you'll be kicking yourself for missing out on one of the best games ever for the past 9.5 years.

Just look how many times its been recommended in this thread. Even without the recent optimization for modern PCs & consoles it still stacks up to today's releases.

Hell, think of all the love Baldur's Gate 3 has received, and I don't think its nearly as good as Witcher 3 (and I'm loving BG3).

I've recently been getting the itch to play it again, but I'm holding out until before Witcher 4 is released, because I've already beaten it six times since 2019.

Twice on my old gaming laptop.
Twice on PS4 Pro.
And I waited for the optimization update to play it on SeriesX, and played it twice.

Its one of those games we now judge new 3rd-person action-RPGs.
The story and characters are now compared to every new game with a deep story & strong characters.

In other words... go play that damn game.

Last edited:
Back